Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red Metal Flake 56 Nomad Revell

Model Car Kustoms

I started playing with this paint today.

I think you said 13 coats. I believe it.

Question: How many bottles per car?

I think in one video he said between one and two bottles if doing extra parts per car

Jeremiah is correct.

David, it roughly comes out to 1 bottle per body (if you want your car to look like the video) (sometimes you use more, sometimes less), you'll want to get at least two bottles if you plan on painting other parts ( engine, frame, etc.)

(its in this video, around the 2min mark)

http://youtu.be/8SRym9nNeMA

but then again, it really depends on the look your going for (light flake or heavy flake)

Edited by Model Car Kustoms

Well I gave this a quick test today and yeah im sold. At first looked a little milky then most went away. I did spray it thck on a junk body I forgot to take pics but thanks again will be trying this for real in future.

It works great, but it isn't the easiest paint to spray, there is a large curve when learning to spray this paint. All you have to do is "iron out the kinks", and once you get used to the paint, you can paint anything!!. lol

It helps to spray thin coats , and let them fully dry in between (I use a heat lamp). Not only does it avoid "pooling" of the paint, but it also helps you to add more metal flake to the "areas lacking coverage"

LOOKING GOOD JASON CAN I ASK WHAT THAT TRI-POD IS HOLDING THE CHASSIS? LOOKS HANDY

Hey thanks Tom,

the Tri Pod is something i got at local drug store, its made for cameras,

but in this case I used it to hold up the frame while I painted.

I really just used it because I was in a hurry to paint,

But i sort of like it, with the flexible legs i don't have to worry about it being knocked over

I am currently painting the engine/suspension/other parts red metal flake..........................

and its taking forever.................if you thought 13 coats was a lot on a large part, wait until you spray small parts!!!! (I will post a video after Im done clearing them)

In the mean time

here are a few cars that I have painted with the metal flake

http://youtu.be/vGUjeYJxAog

and here is a little more on the Impala

http://youtu.be/cj_Uc_7MTpQ

Well its been over two weeks since I painted/ clear coated the body,

and its about time that i sand out the orange peal..........................but i don't think its going to happen till the weekend.............lol

(I've been block sanding 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last month or so, on a current project at work (profile pic).

So I don't really feel like sanding anything, LOL!

Color Sanding!

coming soon (in the not to distant future..............maybe)

Wow I've got to echo what's been said about the flake, it looks sweet! I've walked by that paint 100 times and passed it up but it looks like it would make a sick flake job on a Gasser! I'm also wondering what it would do under a candy, if it would survive or if the candy coat would be to hot for it. Definitely going to try this out!