Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A Rebuild-Under Glass 03-13

mustang1989

Well last night I was looking at my engine compartment and comparing it to the references I have and bam! It hit me! I didn't have the cowl and the side strips at the fender/engine compartment border painted black! Oh man!

CopyofHeaterhoseandblowermotoropenings00

I got up early again this morning and masked everything off and corrected that and then installed the windshield wiper motor area onto the firewall. Here's the wiper motor area before installation with the light wash still in the process of drying.

Windshieldmotorinstallation001_zpscbe8f0

and here is the corrected cowl and side strip area with the motor assy installed onto the firewall..........

Windshieldmotorinstallation002_zps7bc9de

Now for the voltage regulator................................

I did some detail painting in the engine compartment this morning but need to do some touch up so while the paint was drying there I switched over to the tires. I got ahold of Joe at fireball and rather than sell me something decal wise , he gave me the idea for an acrylic fine point white Sharpie at HL to paint them with. I'll be doing business with this guy because you just don't find folks everywhere in the market world who aren't in it for every dollar they can stand......and then some. The acrylic pen idea worked. I still have to apply a light dull coat over the tires for a true tire "look" but I'm sure happy with the results so far:

Wheelsandtiresalmostthere_zps3b6da731.jp

Thanks Dan and Tom. With the time that all the detail in consuming I'll probably be on this thing for another two to three months!!! lol

Joe:Thanks man! I just couldn't help myself once I got started. lol . I do TONS of research when I build so I don't leave anything to imagination. Cars I've found are alot easier in that regard because for the most part there's plenty of examples and the reference photos are plentiful. I'm having alot of fun with just that aspect alone.

Jeff:Thanks you sir! I haven't gotten into the resin copying yet. Maybe I'll drift that way the longer I keep my position as plastic surgeon of the house! lol

I did some detail painting in the engine compartment this morning but need to do some touch up so while the paint was drying there I switched over to the tires. I got ahold of Joe at fireball and rather than sell me something decal wise , he gave me the idea for an acrylic fine point white Sharpie at HL to paint them with. I'll be doing business with this guy because you just don't find folks everywhere in the market world who aren't in it for every dollar they can stand......and then some. The acrylic pen idea worked. I still have to apply a light dull coat over the tires for a true tire "look" but I'm sure happy with the results so far:

I hope you won't mind a friendly suggestion. Your tire lettering turned out nicely, but you can improve it with very little effort. As you know, the white letters on 1:1 tires are flat across the exposed surface, whereas vinyl tires lettered with paint or gel pens can have high and low spots that resulted from the means of application. Here's how you fix that: After the paint/gel has sufficiently dried, find a very light grade of hobby sanding stick or sandpaper and sand gently straight across the letters' surface until the lettering medium levels out. You can finish off by using a sharpened toothpick to chase out any paint/gel that may have flowed down into the open parts of any of the letters. With just a little bit of effort, you'll start to see the letters become "crisper".

Again, I hope you'll take that as a helpful hint as opposed to a critique of your abilities. This build has a lot of potential, and I can't wait to see how it ends up.

Lastly, I couldn't agree more about Chief Joseph being a great member and supporter of the hobby.

Edited by Monty

Thanks Dan!

Carl:Thanks and I'll have a pic of that Sharpie posted later on. I got it from Hobby Lobby of all places.

Monty: The advice is appreciated very much. I'll give that a shot with the sandpaper. I'll be revisiting the toothpick idea again as I tried it at the time of painting and it was hit or miss on getting the excess white out of the "holes" of the letters. I'll try sharpening one up a bit now that the paint has dried and cured out a bit. Thanks bud.

Ok fellas! Today's update. I re-focused my attention back to the tires after Monty gave me a pointer or two. I was mostly happy with the outcome but think overall its my lack of experience with the white lettering on these tires. I touched 'em all up a tad and ended up having to completely start over on one rear tire due to the "G" just disappearing when I tried to wipe away the paint after a disastrous touch up session with it. No worries, I had an extra one in the stash. Hated robbing one but hey, that's modeling. I'm going to stop while I'm ahead with these things before my OCD starts kicking in. What I want to do is paint about 5 sets of these things in succession to get good at it..........NOW ( I do this kind of stuff when I get frustrated-I spent a solid hour stretching sprue over a candle and ended up mastering that so well that I can get sprue stretched well beyond hair follicle diameter every time!) but I don't have that kind of time this morning............................maybe later. lol !

Here's before:

and here's now:

Tiresupdate003_zpsb7c08cd5.jpg

other progress this morning was the installation of the now painted blower motor into the firewall and initial painting of the battery. I've also got the master cylinder holes drilled for the brake lines and the reservoir cap retainer.

The engine bay(looks like I got a little carried away with the paint on the battery--corrections coming.....):

Tiresupdate004_zps8fe82f59.jpg

As a feeler for a future project, I was wondering from the crowd if (after I'm finished with this Challenger) if I could start a WIP here on an upcoming project I have. I'm not going to build the whole thing here but planned on building at least the power plant end of it here in it's own thread. We're all gear heads here so I was wondering if (when I get to that point) if I could build at least the Daimler Benz DB605 here from my Bf109 build that's coming up? Thoughts? If I it's not recommended then I will post it in the All the Rest section but I'm having a blast out here in the mainstream building with you guys.

Here's the kit (and yes ...........this thing is it's own kit in 1/48 th scale). I don't know what the parts count is but it's alot and comes with an 8 page instruction booklet.

The Eduard Brassin engine in 48th scale:

EduardDaimler-BenzDB605Engine002_zpscd8f

One page out of the instructions:

EduardDaimler-BenzDB605Engine003_zps5201

and the resin engine block:

EduardDaimler-BenzDB605Engine001_zps9905

Edited by mustang1989