Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Chrysler

Ramfins59

I've had this idea for awhile to try to replicate the car pictured by Harry back around when this kit first came out. The picture is this one...

300B_zps5144962f-vi.jpg

I started out by sanding off the very faint mold seams on the body along with the scripts, badges and keyholes. I added some thin plastic strips to sort of replicate the custom side trim. I'm debating whether or not to try to cut out the vent holes in the trim in front of the doors, or to just "black them in". The wheels are a set of Pegasus wheels and tires that I've had sitting around for some time, and they're just taped in for the pictures.

I haven't painted an Orange car in almost 20 years so this one will be different for me. I've got a couple of cans of HOK colors (Tangelo Pearl and Ultra Orange Pearl) that I've been wanting to use so I'll have to experiment to see which color I like the best for this car.

The rest of the car will be built pretty much stock with maybe some "bling" added in the engine room. I'm also debating whether or not I should just glue the hood shut and just make this a Curbside model.

1956CHRYSLER11024x759-vi.jpg

1956VHRYSLER21024x741-vi.jpg

1956CHRYSLER31024x755-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking in on this new project. As usual, all comments are welcomed. Further updates to come as they happen.

you've carried the trim farther over the wheel opening than the car in the photo, which has made the openings look out of proportion (at least to me, anyway)... maybe the front section of trim would be better if it was cut out of sheet stock to duplicate the photo? just my 2c. adding trim to cars has never been my strong suit, i've done it successfully only once.

Thanks guys. Tonight I adjusted the added side trim by removing the most forward section, so now it only has 3 slots instead of four. While I said that I wanted to replicate the pictured car, it won't be an "exact" replica.

Oscar, I'm planning on painting the whole car Orange, but I will be painting the new side trim insert a darker color...... probably Tamiya's Red Brown....... so yeah, I guess you could call it a two-tone.

Wayne, I had the wheels taped to the inside of the body for the pictures and when I moved the car for the rear angle shot (the last picture) the tape let go...... but I am planning on having the car sit low.

Thanks Al. Today I opened up those vents in the added side trim. It took me about 3 hours to do both sides with a lot of careful drilling, carving, filing and sanding. I also found a piece of brass screening that I'll cut small pieces of to use for backing those vents. The brass color should go well with the Orange color of the car. No pictures until after Christmas as I'll be playing Santa for my grandson.

I also assembled the engine block (heads, intake manifold, water pump, oil & tranny pans) and painted the whole thing aluminum. I'm thinking some of the rest of the engine parts will be body color to keep everything coordinated.

I'm getting more and more psyched up about this project since I saw all those pictures of the 1:1 car. The pics gave me lots of ideas for details.

Here's what the side vents in the added trim look like now that they're opened up. They should look good with the brass screen that I'll be backing them with.

6CHRYSLERLEFTSIDEVENTS1024x699-vi.jpg

CHRYSLERRIGHTSIDEVENTS1024x729-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be choosing either Tangelo Pearl or Ultra Orange Pearl HOK paint for this beast. I have Brown flocking for carpets and a nice shade of Orange flocking that I might use in the interior along with some Orange and Leather brush paints. I'll have to see how well the colors go with the HOK paints.

Additional updates to follow.