Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 `10 Mustang GT500

Hawk312

how do you get such flawless paint ?!?

Agreed!! Is the Duplicolor that you used ready to spray in an aerosol can and what did you use for clear? Also,are the stripes stenciled on using paint? I ask because every one of these I have seen built the builder has complained of how fragile and bad the kit stripes are ,one of the reasons why I haven't started on mine yet due to trying to decide how I would tackle the stripe issue.

Thanks guys!

I use the duplicolor cans that you can get at autozone, advance auto, pep boys, etc. I also use their clear off the shelf. All ready to spray in an aerosol. I usually use 5 coats of clear at a minimum, and wet sand it out with 1500-3000 grit, followed by rubbing and polishing compound. The top stripes were masked and painted, The rocker stripes are the kit decals. The decals did seem a little fragile, but there are crisp and very opaque.

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys!

I use the duplicolor cans that you can get at autozone, advance auto, pep boys, etc. I also use their clear off the shelf. All ready to spray in an aerosol. I usually use 5 coats of clear at a minimum, and wet sand it out with 1500-3000 grit, followed by rubbing and polishing compound. The top stripes were masked and painted, The rocker stripes are the kit decals. The decals did seem a little fragile, but there are crisp and very opaque.

Hope this helps!

Were both the paint and clear used lacquer, or enamel?

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed!! Is the Duplicolor that you used ready to spray in an aerosol can and what did you use for clear? Also,are the stripes stenciled on using paint? I ask because every one of these I have seen built the builder has complained of how fragile and bad the kit stripes are ,one of the reasons why I haven't started on mine yet due to trying to decide how I would tackle the stripe issue.

You could build a stripe delete car. Although uncommon, they do exist lol

• 2 months later...

Did you use some kind of polisher? I'm new to all of this stuff, but I want my Mustang (first serious project) to look stunning. I'd appreciate some tips on the paint. And once again, this Mustang is amazing, you have a great talent.

Thanks Aukoue! No special polisher used, just alot of elbow grease. :) I used Duplicolor paints straight from the can. I make sure there is plenty of clear on it (at least five coats) and wet sand up to 3000 grit. I use Meguiars rubbing compound. I just happen to have the 105/205 combination for my 1:1 cars, but that would be expensive for just the models ($35/bottle each :o ). I think you could get their rubbing compound and swirl and haze remover, and would probably be pretty close. I also use Tamiya "Finish" compound for the final rub down.

• 3 weeks later...