Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 F100 to F500 conversion

You'd also need to widen the fenders- how much I'm not sure, but the fenders on a 500 were also wider in addition to having a larger openings. The grille opening is the same size. I know a guy with a '54 and '55 F-500 (same as a '53)- I'll see if I can get over there this weekend with a tape measure and find out for sure.

There was an article in one of the model magazines that walked through converting Revell's 1950 Ford F1 into an F8. I'm assuming the 53 would require similar modifications. Maybe someone can lay their hands on the article. Think it was an older SAE issue.

Edited by Aaronw

Brian,

Were you looking at something like this one that greymack posted some time ago:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41291

I also remember reading on another forum where a fella took the fenders off the pickup bed and used through for fron fender extensions and reworked the wheel opening

Rick

The F500 doesn't have the widened fenders like the F800. Here is a pic of a 55 F500

mater1.jpg?t=1282495757

And a stock 55 F100

Ford-1955F100RogerElliott.jpg

And an F800 with the wide fenders

a2540.jpg

The F500 is only a 5 ton truck, it may not really be worth it when I can also widen the fenders and have a much higher weight truck. I was thinking of making some kind of a medium duty wrecker, I have a couple of 53 Ford cabs laying around and was looking for a project that wouldn't need much body work.

In fact, the Y-blocks are the same. Transmissions vary in the bigger trucks...not sure of what is in what size. Stock F-100 and 250 (3/4) ton was often just a 3 speed on the column. Then there was a 4 speed (floor shift) that had a granny gear also in some of the 3/4 tons.

Beyond that..not sure at all. Sorry

EDIT: 53 had the flathead still. 54 had an odd duck Y-block. 55 started the normal y-blocks.

Edited by Brian_B

Speaking of reference pics, I might also be able to get some for that '57. My father has a '57 T-650 (?) that's in pretty nice shape. (T-Series is an F-Series tandem, by the way.)

Another fun fact about those Fords- see that hood scoop on the resin one you pictured? Looks like one of those highly sought-after Pontiac Super Stock hood scoops, doesn't it? That's because it is. Pontiac actually used the Ford super duty scoop on their drag cars- they even assigned it a GM part number so it would be legit with NHRA factory stock rules.

Back in the 50s (that resin cab is later)..there was a factory hood scoop and hood bird (hood ornament) optional on these old trucks. A friend of mine has a 56 that he and his dad searched the U.S. and Canada for every option available to put on it. AM radio\speaker, the better heater, the foot pump windshield washers,the big back window cab (only an option in 56), etc.

Mine only has two options..a heater with defrost (not the fancy one) and the spare tire mounted on the rear fender. That was only an option in 56 (not earlier).

Most of these things are repops now and added to any year..but several were not available until 56.

Well, got over to where the trucks are- there was quite a lot more stuff jammed around them in the barn than there was last time! I did manage to squeeze in between them and get a measurement of the bottom of the wheel opening, 39", and height of 22".

Armed with this, I dug out an AMT '53 Trophy Series cab, and tried those measurements out on the fender. Turns out, if you cut away the raised 'lip' already around the wheel opening, that will enlarge the opening enough to match up pretty well with the F-600's measurements. Then you'd just need to add a new raised lip around the newly-enlarged opening. I'll try and get some pictures up later on- because now I'm thinking of giving it a go on a spare '53 to see how close it really looks.

Here's the '54 F-600, and as you could see space is pretty tight...

1-vi.jpg

And here's a visual for the idea I had.

2-vi.jpg

Like I said- cut away the existing lip marked in pencil and add a new one to the enlarged opening and it should look pretty close... but I think I'm gonna try it out and then go back and compare it to the 1:1 and see how it looks before I reccomend my method! B)