Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale 12V71TTA Detroit Diesel

Over the Winter months I started formulating plans for a 1/16 scale Pete 359 from around 1975 to 76. I bought from Ebay a Monogram 1/16 Pete (The white one with the rainbow stripes). I also bought the Fruehauf flatbed trailer. I had built the yellow Monogram Pete and the Red Kenworth when I was much younger in the very early 1980s and felt it was time that I built another. But I don't know what it is I just can not build box stock. The Clatterpillar 3408 in the kit is very good but I wanted something a bit differant. So I started to experiment to see if I could scratch build a 12V Detroit Diesel from scratch. I bought bolt heads and nuts from Scale Hardware (http://www.scalehardware.com/). These are very realistic but expensive. I started with the valve covers then the cylinder heads, the exhaust manifolds, and the block. I have one or two other items complete as you can see in the photo's.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/116-12v7...ev12nextto.html

Does anyone know any sites for 1/16 aftermarket parts?

Best Wishes

Dave

Hey Dave, are you going to mold and cast that engine in resin? It would be a shame not too!

Not only would you get copies for more builds but others could benfit from your great work as well!

I try to do this with all the custom things I make.

Many Thanks for the kind words!

I don't know anything about casting in resin. So I decided that it had to be done in such a way that it could easily be made from readily available raw materials. If it was cast more people could have a 1/16 scale DD 12V71 or a 12V71TTA. (Appologies for my selfishness) This one for me is a prototype, a personal test to see if it can be done. Maybe if one or two people see a successfull outcome it might prompt them to have a go. I must admit it has been very enjoyable so far. I am working on the Compressor and the rear auxillary drive at the present time. Hopefully I will finish this part by the end of the week and then I will start on the Superchargers, turbochargers and then the front of the engine. The way I look at it I have overcome the biggest hurdle: Making a Start.

Building big scale engines is ideal for someone with a CNC Milling machine (Like crispy67). They could be rattled out like shelling peas. This maybe a better option than casting in resin. Scratchbuilding is time consuming and the bolt and nut heads are very expensive. How is resin casting with large components.

After this one a Cummins KTA600 and then maybe a Cummins 335 and a Pete 351 who knows what the future has install.

Many Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Best Wishes

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

Many Thanks for the kind words!

After this one a Cummins KTA600 and then maybe a Cummins 335 and a Pete 351 who knows what the future has install.

Many Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Best Wishes

Dave

Cool ideas. I've been wanting to do the Cummins engine, but I have to find a 1/16 tractor kit 1st. I only have the trailer. If I could copy the suspension, I have some trailer ideas too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ray,

Thanks for the details on the Fruehauf trailer. It would be great to get more aftermarket parts for 1/16 scale. I tried the Auslow/White Fang site but its under construction. Not sure where else to look for 1/16 aftermarket parts??

Anyways I have made some progress on the Detroit. The rear auxillarydrive is complete and I have installed the rear breather to the top of the block.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/116-12v7...rydrive001.html

Next up will be the superchargers, governor, fuel pump and turbochargers.

Thanks for looking.

Best Wishes

Dave

Dave, your engine has inspired me to go forward with my 1/16 scale Cummins engine. This project has been on my mind for years. My main question is what size sheet plastic are you using for the construction? Also, were the turbos hard to scratchbuild?

I commend you on scratchbuilding everything. Until I clicked on your link, I first thought you would use the fairly universal parts such as the air compressor, starter, alternator, possibly the turbo with modifications. You scartchbuilt it all from what I could see. Truly amazing work. Are you going to scrathbuild a transmission for it as well? anyway, watching this build has been fun. I love it.

Ray,

Thanks for the comments!

Which model Cummins are you looking at? The inline 6 Cummins from a scratch build will be a lot easier than the 12V71 since there are less parts and it is not as complicated. Well in theory anyways! Probably turn out to be more complicated?? Anyways I would be keen to see how you get on and what methods you use to overcome the build problems that you will no doubt encounter. But its great to hear that you are prepared to have a go. Thats the biggest hurdle. Once you make the commitment and make a start its suprising how fast things will develop.

As far as materials go I use the usual Plastruct and evergreen sheet. The block on the Detroit is actually hollow made of 1.5mm thick sheet glued together. The heads and rocker covers are made from a sheet of ABS that we had lying around the works. This material works very well I'm quite pleased with the results. You should be able to get this type of material from an Industrial plastics suppliers. The flywheel housing is made from a piece of drain pipe. I have started the superchargers but haven't get to the turbochargers yet. The important thing is to use your imagination and if you see something lying around that might be usefull keep hold of it. You never know. Your biggest expense will probably be the nuts and bolts. I used the brass ones but I do believe that there are some plastic ones available from somewhere but cannot remember where?

Scratch build a transmission?? Yes I have thought about it and have some plans. The big stumbling block will be the bell housing. My idea is to get a batch turned on a CNC lathe to get the right profile they can then be finished by hand. The actual transmission itself should be pretty straight forward. I am thinking of a Spicer 6 speed main with a 4 speed air shift auxillary attached to it. Does anyone have any detailed photo's of this??

I would like to scartch build a set of extended leaf walking beam rear suspensions also. But thats a way off yet.

Best Wishes and good luck with the Cummins.

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

As far as which Cummins, it will be the inline 6 cylinder NTC-400. Thanks for the helpful info on what materials you used. It gives me an idea of what direction to take. As far as easier, I think there will be some challenges. The lower right side of the block has that curve, so getting that to look right might be a challenge. As far as a transmission, I would like to convert it to a 13 spd.

I did finally score a tractor kit. It's the red KW. All I had for a long time was the trailer kit. The ideas are floating around, now to put them to put them to paper like I always do b4 building. Good luck with yours. Hopefully, I will start on this engine soon.

• 9 months later...

Since the weather has been to cold to paint my Autocar A64B. I have been working on the Old Detroit, on and off, for the last month or so. The turbochargers and superchargers are now complete. In the photo's they are just pinned in place not glued yet. The superchargers and turbos have proved the most difficult so far. But those difficulties have now been overcome and the engine is well on the way to completion. There is still a lot of work to do, but it really is starting to take shape. Needless to say I am pleased with the result.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/116-12v71tta-detroi/

Thanks for looking

Dave

Well that is a very nice bit of scratchbuilding, and the detail is just perfect, scale hareware stuff in my book is well worth the money as it does bring models to life more so than using plastic hex rod,

would be nice to see more 1/16th parts come available seems everything with 1/16th has to be made

Years ago, there was a range of 1/16th engines available here is Austalia, Cat 3406, a 903 and a V6, very hard to find now,

Jaymar has cast the 903 and the 3406, but the quality is very poor, easier to make your own

Auslowe make a small amount of 1/16th stuff, dashes, tanks, guards but the range is small, the aluminium tanks are beautiful, and well worth the money in my books

There are rumours here that there is a K125 being mastered in 1/16th, and some other stuff as well, including a C15 and late model gearboxes, and working suspension for the KW

Edited by Tony Bryan

This was in one of my earlier posts. They are 1/16th resin engines by Coley. The did offer a Detroit Diesel.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6458&st=0&p=199712&fromsearch=1&#entry199712

577.jpg

Those are the original Col Grey (coley) engines that are now being cast by Jaymar, but the Jaymar ones are no where near the quality of the old Col Grey stuff, Col Grey was one of the original casters here in Australia

Very nice work. I have a 1/16 KW, would like to find some six spoke wheels for it. I have always wanted to try to scratchbuild a Hall-Scott in 1/25.

Those are the original Col Grey (coley) engines that are now being cast by Jaymar, but the Jaymar ones are no where near the quality of the old Col Grey stuff, Col Grey was one of the original casters here in Australia

If that be the case those 1/16th scale wheels are available at Jaymar. My catalog is old but they were listed in there.

Dave...Your work is always "TOP" notch....I enjoy seeing the progress, Kurt

Since the weather has been to cold to paint my Autocar A64B. I have been working on the Old Detroit, on and off, for the last month or so. The turbochargers and superchargers are now complete. In the photo's they are just pinned in place not glued yet. The superchargers and turbos have proved the most difficult so far. But those difficulties have now been overcome and the engine is well on the way to completion. There is still a lot of work to do, but it really is starting to take shape. Needless to say I am pleased with the result.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/116-12v71tta-detroi/

Thanks for looking

Dave

If that be the case those 1/16th scale wheels are available at Jaymar. My catalog is old but they were listed in there.

If you want to order anything from jaymar, don't bother ordering or posting any money, just go to the toilet and throw your money down the cistern and flush it.

SAME RESULT, get me drift.

Anybody who deals with that creep will get ripped off.