Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm going to put this one here, but if it needs to be moved to another section, do it.

With what seems to be a renewed interest in the Squad lately, I dug out the body from 10-8,and started looking at it. I realized that not only it wasn't square, or straight, but it was too long. So, after printing off a bunch of pictures, and taking my calipers to my Code 3 1/64th Squad, I came up with some dimensions that "look" right.

And then out came the plastic..... :D

Heres the Code 3

Squad51006.jpg

First side of the box. One of the distinctive things on the box, (at least to me) is the corner to corner stiffening bend in each door. I'm tring to replicate it on the doors also.

Squad51001.jpg

Comparing the 10-8 box to the new box.

Squad51002.jpg

Squad51003.jpg

Mocked up behind a Dodge cab.

Squad51004.jpg

I'm not sure how close the STS body is to the former 10-8 body. I ended up with alot of the 10-8 molds and parts, and most of them were in really rough shape. Judging from the VIN of the original Squad, and various info on the net, the 10-8 body was too long as shown in the pics. I did find several minor errors on the Code 3 truck also, although they were mostly handles in the wrong spots.

Nice work !! ... I would be first in line if you decide to cast up the Squad 51 bed.

I've attached the best straight on side shot I have of the actual Squad 51 if you need it for reference. I flipped the photo so it would be the same direction as your post for comparison. I have plenty of other Squad 51 photos that might be helpful.

-Steve

post-413-12820864414705_thumb.jpg

Steve, that helps alot!! But, why is it missing the running board?? and the lettering is different!!!(paramedic vs. rescue squad)

Good question, that could be a replica. Or maybe the photo was taken sometime after it was actually put into service as a reserve unit but before it was fully restored. I found the same photo on the LA County Museum website. I'm not sure if that's where I originally found it. http://www.fire.lacounty.gov/history/FMuseumMuseumHistory.asp

I've read that three Squad 51's were used during filming of the TV series but I don't know that to be a fact.

-Steve

Interesting project, though shouldn't this be under the pickup trucks section?

It's in the right place. The pickup section is for non commerical pickups, and since every show I've ever been to consider emergency vehicles as commerical vehicles, it's proper here.

Well, the plan is to cast it, along with the other Squad parts, so, I'd be shooting down a sale ! B) I figure it would sell good beside the Ward LaFrance (Engine 51) I already offer. Most of my dimensions are written on the box itself, so I'd have to draw it out first. Let me make sure that its right, and I'll put some drawings together.

Thanks for the heads up on the paint, but I'm going to mix it in Dupont here at work...if this one gets past the master stage!

Looking really nice, Dave. I like your attention to detail. Maybe you could offer this & the Ward-LaFrance P80 as a "Station 51" package. Hint. Hint.

I know that Jbot offers decals for the squad, but who offers decals for the engine?

I have someone in mind for the decals, just when he has time to do them. I know this guy is quick and does quality work, and there isn't a border to blame when it takes 6 months for an order.

The plan is to do some kind of package for both, but the WLF cab is getting a little "tweaking" of the details :lol:

Heres the Ward LaFrance cab.

wlfgood004.jpg

Well, the plan is to cast it, along with the other Squad parts, so, I'd be shooting down a sale ! :lol: I figure it would sell good beside the Ward LaFrance (Engine 51) I already offer. Most of my dimensions are written on the box itself, so I'd have to draw it out first. Let me make sure that its right, and I'll put some drawings together.

Thanks for the heads up on the paint, but I'm going to mix it in Dupont here at work...if this one gets past the master stage!

Ya see, I hadn't put 2 and 2 together. I know of someone who's using your Ward cab to build Engine 51 and I got to thinking that it would be cool to surprise him with a Squad 51.

If you're going to cast it though, that would save me lots and lots of work and I'll buy one.

Little bit of an update.

First, Heres a pic of the running board, as requested. A debate has begun on how these were constructed. The Squad now has treadplate boards, that were fabbed by a contractor to the LACFM, when the Squad arrived at the museum. The original boards had apparently been removed and disposed of. So, I believe the original bords were a pressed type with lengthwise ribs, so, a new set will be built.

Squad51016.jpg

Squad51015.jpg

Squad51014.jpg

Heres the back of the box. The first is a oops B) , as I had the tail lights located incorrectly. The second shows the correct location, and the rear bumper.

Squad51017.jpg

Squad51018.jpg

Edited by cargostar

Thanks, Dave. That's looking pretty good!

The reason I asked about the front of the running boards is that the actual Squad 51 had unusual running boards that curved up without a sharp corner. They were very different from the ordinary running boards you see. Yours is pretty close, but as I remember them, they appeared to be one piece and curved; they appeared to be stamped rather than assembled (of flat pieces) like customary.

You have the curve on the bottom/front outside, but as I recall them, the top curved with it rather than having a sharp angle.

Keep in mind, however, it's been a long time and memory may be faulty. I'm looking for my stuff ... (laid-back term for reference material) on 51. I know I have some pix of the running boards because they were so unusual.

Great project! Looking forward to seeing your end product.

I kinda figured on tring to radius the inside corner of the flap, but, since the design of the board itself is in question, I'm holding off doing any more untill I decide on which are correct.

In the pic that Steve posted, there is a non slip pattern plainly visable, and the front flap of the board connects to the board with an angle, not a radius.

In comparing pictures, there is also a difference in the mirrors. On the sleeve for season 1 DVD, there was a "U" shaped brace or extension on the mirror heads. The Squad currently doesn't have them, and they are not shown in Steves pic. :lol:

Edited by cargostar