Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting a new build. i got this kit for Christmas and started it about a week ago. just got done preping all the parts for primer and sprayed today went on smooth. this one is gonna be pretty much box stock nothing to major going on just a nice shiny pickup. i want to make it look like the picture of the truck below i have this calendar hanging in my work shop and i just love this color on this truck so that's what i hope it looks like when its done.

post-10375-0-19867000-1361139997_thumb.j

post-10375-0-12619300-1361140142_thumb.j

Edited by captin

I got that same kit that I'm trying to make into a mild custom car hauler and I have about 5 hours of work into it, all of which has been puttying, shaping, and cleaning up the truck and I'm not even halfway done with that.

Some pictures of the motor and the custom exhaust i did. the motor was tough to get in cause since i lowerd it the bottom of the motor was hitting the top of the front axel but i finally got it to work. the pipes in the back are from a 49 merc. that i did. i couldn't put the stock exhaust on because since i lowered it it wouldn't fit in right.

post-10375-0-01579900-1362682495_thumb.j

post-10375-0-24065500-1362682524_thumb.j

post-10375-0-07883600-1362682552_thumb.j

post-10375-0-01193200-1362682591_thumb.j

I too love the look of a truck that's been worked hard, and this one certainly has "the look". If I may make a suggestion; there is a product called Weather-It that would give the wooden bed a look more homogenous with the rest of the truck. It's available in the train section of most hobby shops or from Micro Marc. (That is real wood in the bed, isn't it ?)

Thanks Johann and the wood in the back of the truck is bass wood that i picked up from the hobby shop. and also thanks for the info. on weathering the wood of the bed i agree that it does look a little to neat to be on this truck i just didn't no how to weather it but now i do thanks again much appreciated.

When i was little and i built models i just thought you could only build it box stock and i painted the models all with a brush. i always got so impatient that they didn't turn out the way i wanted them to so i stopped building. i just recently started back up and Im finding out there is more to the hobby than i thought there was and so many things you can do to make your model unique. lately Im trying to learn all the different kinds of product you can use on your models to make them stand out but am having a tough time learning what all them do, but Im sure with a little time ill learn more. anyway thanks for all your help again.

That's is so true. it wouldn't be any fun if every model you make you didn't run into any problems in other words learning from your mistakes. like with this model i was going for a nice shiny flawless finish in the beginning but i put a clear on that was to strong and it melted the paint of. so i learned not to use that clear but i also learned that this degreaser that i have at work strips paint off your model and does not ruin the plastic. and your right about the YouTube videos that is the big reason why i stated weather models in the first place cause i started watching Dr.Cranky video and i was amazed by what he was doing. I am very much like you i learn better visually than i do reading it in a book or off the internet. i have a quick question for you if you don't mind answering it. is it better to have a dual action airbrush rather than a single action when it comes to weathering models or just models in general?