Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beach City Corvette

John Teresi

Well John, you are either the most PROLIFIC modeler in history, or you are slowly showing us what you already have built. LOLZ

Either way, another great build of a unique car.

I must ask though. Your technique for tire lettering is the best I have ever seen. It looks a tad worn and the color is just right.

Care to share the "how to"?.

Bob

Well John, you are either the most PROLIFIC modeler in history, or you are slowly showing us what you already have built. LOLZ

Either way, another great build of a unique car.

I must ask though. Your technique for tire lettering is the best I have ever seen. It looks a tad worn and the color is just right.

Care to share the "how to"?.

Bob

Sure Bob.......from Michaels arts and crafts store you need: "folk art" brand black acrylic paint and dark grey acrylic paint .....they cost around 89 cents each.......first I sand the flat part of the slick with 320 grit sand paper and then go over it again slightly with 800 grit sand paper......then I paint the whole tire with a couple of diluted coats of the black paint......I let it dry for about an hour........then I apply the decal with the red micro set solution.....I let that dry for another hour....... then diluted with water I paint over the sidewall of the tire with the dark grey paint.......you want the paint diluted good ......you can put as many coats on as you like ......I put around 5 coats.......I let each coat dry ......I usually do this on a hot day......after the tire is done and dry and you like it.......I airbrush the tire with dull coat for protection......you don`t need to but I like to do it.......hope I helped you?.....thank`s John

That is one of my favorite FCs and you certainly did it justice. I like it very much.

I saw in Gregg's pics that you had a LOT of models at the NNL West. They all looked great. By chance , were you the guy who built the Easy Riders streamliner? I need to see that close up.

I did like your Duece coupe FC. I am a little prejudiced about that one! :lol:

That is one of my favorite FCs and you certainly did it justice. I like it very much.

I saw in Gregg's pics that you had a LOT of models at the NNL West. They all looked great. By chance , were you the guy who built the Easy Riders streamliner? I need to see that close up.

I did like your Duece coupe FC. I am a little prejudiced about that one! :lol:

Andy......I know I changed your deuce up a little.....I hope your not offended?.......I just had an idea and went with it.......Yes that is my model of the "Easyriders" streamliner.......I want to show it at two more shows then I will post pictures of how I did it and finished pictures......thank`s John

Andy......I know I changed your deuce up a little.....I hope your not offended?.......I just had an idea and went with it.......

Offended? Not possible. I am very happy to see any of my resin products built and especially when it is built well such as yours. It looks great. Steve Cote saw the Duece and wanted to build a Pro-Mod out of it. That would have been cool. I am building one of my own Bugzappers and am putting M&Ms markings on it!! So many model kits go unbuilt(and I am just as bad as anyone else) that it is a happy day when something is finished.

Looking forward to seeing the streamliner! <_<

Wow another Beautiful model you have there John. As always the detail looks great. What is the material that you used for the parachute?? I have been trying to figure out what is best to use for them. Thanks

Chris .....I use a bandage wrap for wounds......it has a material fabric on one side and adhesive on the other.......you can but it at any medical store.......thank`s John

• 2 years later...

John...not to take away from your skill at building because it looks great, but may I ask you about the engine? You have small block Chevrolet valve covers on what appear to be maybe Oldsmobile cylinder heads? How did you happen to use that engine instead of the Hemi that the real car ran?

John...not to take away from your skill at building because it looks great, but may I ask you about the engine? You have small block Chevrolet valve covers on what appear to be maybe Oldsmobile cylinder heads? How did you happen to use that engine instead of the Hemi that the real car ran?

That's what I was wondering, though I thought they looked like Ford FE heads. The paint and finishing is excellent, but when the basics aren't quite right it takes something away...

John...not to take away from your skill at building because it looks great, but may I ask you about the engine? You have small block Chevrolet valve covers on what appear to be maybe Oldsmobile cylinder heads? How did you happen to use that engine instead of the Hemi that the real car just used what looked like what I needed.......into

Terry........you are right.......it is absolutely wrong.........it was built a few years back........that is when I really did not research very much.......I just used parts from diffirent kits ........that looked like what I needed........believe me I have had ........allot of people point out my mistakes.......I`m not perfect but, I have really tried to research on my recent builds........I am thankful for the critics........It made me want to build more accurate.........but,like I said this build was built along time ago....... I just figured a few modelers would like to see "BeachCity" Corvette built....... right after I built this a........a guy that works for Chip Foose wanted to buy it for $500.00 0r trade for Foose die cast and a tour and meet Foose.........I guess I should have sold it?........but,now I`m stuck with a lemon .........maybe I should build it again? :)

Terry........you are right.......it is absolutely wrong.........it was built a few years back........that is when I really did not research very much.......I just used parts from diffirent kits ........that looked like what I needed........believe me I have had ........allot of people point out my mistakes.......I`m not perfect but, I have really tried to research on my recent builds........I am thankful for the critics........It made me want to build more accurate.........but,like I said this build was built along time ago....... I just figured a few modelers would like to see "BeachCity" Corvette built....... right after I built this a........a guy that works for Chip Foose wanted to buy it for $500.00 0r trade for Foose die cast and a tour and meet Foose.........I guess I should have sold it?........but,now I`m stuck with a lemon .........maybe I should build it again? :)

John...don't you dare touch that model (smile). Not only does it look terrific, it's a signpost along the way in your journey to becoming the terrific modeler you are today. On my fotki site I have some models posted that I built as long as 47 years ago. Lotsa mistakes in those! But some of them are among the most popular (judged by page views and comments) on the whole site. Not that I feel strongly about this or anything.... Best regards...TIM

John, I agree with Tim...leave it alone. We all have made mistakes...heaven knows I have made PLENTY of them. Now that your skills both in building and researching are better, maybe one day you'll be inspired enough to build another more accurate one. If not...so be it!

And Tim...47 years ago??? Yikes! Seriously though it's kinda cool that you still have pics of those early builds.

John, I agree with Tim...leave it alone. We all have made mistakes...heaven knows I have made PLENTY of them. Now that your skills both in building and researching are better, maybe one day you'll be inspired enough to build another more accurate one. If not...so be it!

And Tim...47 years ago??? Yikes! Seriously though it's kinda cool that you still have pics of those early builds.

Terry....here is one....an Anglia Gasser completed in fall, 1966 with a Hemi from the Double Dragster, a front suspension from the AMT '55 Nomad Gasser version, and a one-piece liftoff front end. Yes, that is a piece of the blue "Plexi" window material hanging down from its former location as the rear quarter window! TIM DSC_0170-vi.jpg