Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hershel McGriff's 1950 Oldsmobile

Since buying the new Revell '50 Oldsmobile I've been doing a little digging around for photos of the Hershell McGriff driven La Carrara Panamericana version. Here's what I found.

McGriff02-vi.jpg

This looks very "pre-race" to me and the things to notice here are the hub caps; I'm surprised they are there but more about that in a minute. The numbers on the door look to be on a piece pf paper taped to the door or even a layer of masking tape with the number stenciled over it. Also strange is the missing left headlight. Seems to me you'll need all the light you can get for a 2100 mile race through the back country of Mexico in the fifties.

McGriff01-vi.jpg

Here's a photo shot during the race. Notice that the hub caps are now gone and the wheels appear to be a darker color than the body. Certainly there were tire and wheel changes made over the course of the race.

These next photos are all of what appears to be a restored or recreated car as it looks today. I have no idea if this is the real thing or a clone and I'm always skeptical of using modern restorations for model reference, but this one does seem pretty close.

McGriff03-vi.jpg

Notice the hubcaps, once again, are not on the car.

McGriff05-vi.jpg

Hub caps are back again!

McGriff06-vi.jpg

Something else to note here; Revell's instructions call for the steering wheel and column to painted "body color" but on this car the wheel is clearly darker than the body. Makes more sense to me that the wheel would match the rest of the interior not the outside.

I wish Revell had included the driver's names on the decal sheet; Hershell McGriff and Ray Elliot, that you can see on the door just below the window.

Anyway, this is what I've found so far.

Edited by 2002p51