Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 77 GMC wrecker truck

greymack

From what i've seen, it looks like a repop of the 1994 issue with new decals. Not a bad thing certanly, but for the price I was expecting them to at very least retool the engine compartment and add bits from the 78 pick-up the released not too long ago. But that's just Ms picky-Rachile speaking here.

Edited by V-spec

I just bought one the other day at the local LHS. It seems like a pretty cool kit no problems from what I looked at. didn't look to thoroughly though. I'm just disappointed that the engine block is molded into the body and the transmission and oil pan molded into the chassis

Did Revell correct the grille in this reissue? I have the orange version of this kit and the grille looks like a mixture of Chevy and GMC parts. Other than that, it is a great kit. I don't mind that the engine is molded into the cab. After all, iT is a snap together kit!

I started building this kit the other day. It is the old snap kit. Still has a funny looking grill. I was going to use the bed on the old Billy Carter truck but you would have to rework the back half of the frame it's a little short and a little to wide.

the revell Midnight cowboy bed fits right on the billy carter frame with no mods needed. wish revell would have combine those two kits for a new wrecker, even if its only single rear wheels.

jw78z28, The reason the "Midnite-Cowboy" tow Bed fits the Billy Carter Kit is because they are the Same kit!!

This Chevy Pickup has been issued by Revell several times, including as the "Sneaky-Pete" and Midnite!!

I just treaded one in the Mach-1 Formula Boat set.

I don't care for that Stepside because the frame & suspension are so Flimsy in EVERY issue!!

The Axles are so thin they break if Looked at some times. The chassis frame can warp just from handling.

You get the idea.

Yes, they can be built, and look good, but care must be taken on the frame/suspension assembly

I did build an Original Sneaky Pete. But the Midnite Cowboy I bashed with a Sherrif's Bronco

The Original issue of the Snap GMC/Chevy tow truck was called Captain Hook, Molded in black,

with silver decals I have one I build Way back when New

Edsel-Dan, I know what you mean about the frames. I had to combine the billy carter truck and the midnight cowboy in order to get one good frame and suspension set up. Both kits where factory sealed but both kits had a lot of warped parts. I'm still trying to fix the warped roof on the billy carter cab and fill in the big hole. one day I have to get it back out.

Wish somebody would just do a new tool for a roll back.

Picked one up yesterday at the local Hobbytown USA, it was only a $1 more that what they are online at Modelroundup or Tower Hobbies so I bought it.

I have to wait and open it on X-mas but I plan to bash it with an AMT Ford pickup kit from the '90's so I have some diversity in my planned fleet of wreckers.

Not sure what I will do with the rest of the kit, might use it to build a beater diorama piece.