Model Cars Magazine Forum

tips and hints

Hello everyone, I have built about 9 semi tuck models now and I can assure you that I am hooked. All of the builds I have done were all straight out of the box. I have two more models coming in the mail and I would like to take more time and detail in them, like brakes lines, battery wires, and all of those other ''little touches''. If anyone could help me and give me some pointers or tips on how to further detail the trucks, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If you want hoses for the wagon hook up ect. Try telephone wire. Just strip off the outter casing and you will find various colors of wire. Then use a paint brush handle and wrap it tight around it, when your happy with the length, slide it off. Now you have a realistic coil hose that has natural droop. Give it a try I think you'll like it.

Thanks for the wire tips. how is the best way I could go about aging the engine? like rusting the turbo/manifolds and making it have the look that its been slowly leaking some oil? I've seen it done very good and very bad and I would like to make it look the best I can.

Research is the key to any build, find photos or take them yourself, and replicate what you see, and generally if it looks right then it is right, so keep referencing your pics

just remember when you plumb or wire something, it should stay in scale to what the real truck is, for example 1mm (0.40) wire x 25th scale = 25mm or 1" not many if any brake lines or suzie cords are 1"

so what you can do is strip the cover off it, which is getting closer to the true scale of what it should be, or use nylon fishing line for things like air lines, detail nuts etc can be cut from hex rod, lots of photo etch stuff is available, as well as manufactured nuts bolts washers, rivets and the list goes on

also ink is a good thing to use for oil stains on engines

Dont be scared to take as many reference pics as you can

IMG_0468.jpg

You can build anything you want if you break it down into parts, or pieces

real air cleaner

IMG_0478.jpg

one I am playing with

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

and the tooling to make it

IMG_0473.jpg

and you can use most materials

Aluminium

b99414b9.jpg

Plastic

100_7338.jpg

Brass

file-56.jpg

Certainly the key is to have a go, do be afraid to try things, and if it doesn't work, try something else,

Yes by all means post your builds, I am sure a few here will be willing to help