Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac GTO stock build

Sixties Sam

Here's an eBay find for $10. It's an old tool AMT kit, very simple. One piece chassis, tub interior, just like the original kit from 1965. It can be built as a convertible or a hardtop. I built it stock, with Krylon paint and some BMF trim. The chassis was warped, so I straightened it with a heat gun, but it still didn't fit. I had to cut away the front of the rear inner fenders to make it fit. Interior was a poor fit, too, but I got it all together with super glue and clamps. The taillights were missing, but Ruben Arredondo from this forum sent me a set. Thanks, Ruben!

8641275372_30c4f27e44_z.jpg

8641275250_b1b312e05a_z.jpg

8641275208_979941d503_z.jpg

8641275312_0b4ee57e26_z.jpg

These old kits make me appreciate how much better the new ones are! Thanks for looking.

Sam

Edited by Sixties Sam

Looks good. This kit is a total nightmare and you did a very good job on it. And just as a little side note, the chrome piece in the hood should be body color, (i know the kit has it chromed). So it technically is slightly custom, but completely box stock.

Edited by wrecker388

I bought this kit brand new, and it HAS gotten run down since then, but then havent we all? The original kit's interior was rather shallow, but you can fix that by scribeing the floor out and then just glueing some flat sheetstock on. Sounds trivial, but it DOES make a diffrence. The Grille has buggy headlights. The originals were much nicer.The nice fine detail is gone from the real tailight valance too. All in all, for what it's molding's been thru, it still holds up pretty good as a good representation of what it's supposed to be.I honestly have about 5 of them, built and unbuilt. You did a pretty nice job with what you had! Came out real nice!

Looks good. This kit is a total nightmare and you did a very good job on it. And just as a little side note, the chrome piece in the hood should be body color, (i know the kit has it chromed). So it technically is slightly custom, but completely box stock.

Riley, I looked on Google and you're right, the hood scoop trim is usually body color, but on the photo below which I used for reference, it looks chrome. Maybe the owner of that one chromed it or painted it silver. I liked the chrome a little better.

Sam, this goat came out clean! I love the color combination you chose for it. I built one of these with my nephew last year, even though its a newer release, we had all kinds of issues of things not fitting properly either. Yours came out great and glad to help you complete the build.