Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT OPEL GT RERELEASE.

azers

There was a guy here locally that had an Opel GT with a 500+ inch big block that he raced in Pro Gas about 10 years ago. It was a beautiful full tube chassis car and was brutally fast. As soon as these kits become available around here I plan on picking up a few to build into various types of drag cars.

GT_1.jpg

The current Opel GT in this pic is based on the Saturn Sky, in fact, nearly identical, and they were built on the same assembly line.

Edited by midnightprowler

we had a lot of these cars around here back in the '70's

it was partswise loosely based around the Manta and Kadett..the biggest displacement engine available was a 1900cc 4 cylinder at the time..(Belgium also got a small 1200cc ,for tax reasons)

compared to a 'Vette it was pocket size ,and only capable for being a 2 seater ..roadhandling was pretty horrible also..as was rustprevention

nowadays in Europe most of them leftover are more or less restored in original condition..

as customizing back in the late '70's -early '80's didn't do much good for the cars image..not many survived that way..

some of them recieved hideous bodykits and wide arches back then hoodscoops ,285 rear tires ..the works..

enginewise upgrading a GT ,would have been the fuel injected 2.0 liter out of the second generation Manta (115 din hp)...6 Cylinders in a original 4 cylinder car (like the kit is offering)..were a no-no in most European countrys back then..

also the more rare option somethimes taken was/is the 2.2/2.4 cylinder unit found in Rekord and first gen Omega's..

with hot cams and double 45 Weber sidedraughts it would produce around 140-160 din hp..

Stateside ,i'd propably go for a 350 Chevy small block..and sufficient rear end.....knowing the dimensions underhood and chassiswise of these cars ..i guess it would fit ..

BTW ,i know you guys got the GT/J over there..it was basiclly the same minus the chrome trim..(and rust)

grtz from Holland

GT_1.jpg

The current Opel GT in this pic is based on the Saturn Sky, in fact, nearly identical, and they were built on the same assembly line.

The stuff you don't hear about... GM built the Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstace, Opel GT and get this... A Daewoo G2X all on the same assembly line in Wilmington, Delaware. The Opels were exported to Europe and the Daewoos to Korea. We only hear about cars being imported here, not the other way around.

I bought the kit today. I was impressed by the organized layout of the box contents. However, I am not a big fan of the flat box. It has all the parts just as it did when this was out back in 71' and 72', when I last built this kit. I don't remember back then having a third style hood. As mentioned earlier in this thread , there is only one chrome reverse wheel. Wonder if Round 2 spotted this. Also, there was mention of a little flashing not trimmed from the windshield frame. That's an easy fix. Some costs would have been saved if they used the smaller regular size model box and not included the artwork. Those two things would have been the only changes I would have made to the kit.

It's an excellant kit. I'll have fun building this one.

There is one of these on a trailer in town, I've always liked the lines on these cars. One problem I would see is I am 6'7 and 280 lbs. Big guy in a little car. But I do have another daughter heading towards her 14th Birthday and she is gonna be on the shorter side. A turbo V-6 would work quite nicely.

I found an extra chrome reverse wheel from my old Opel GT kit that I broke back in the day. Yes, there were 4 of those reverse wheels that came in the kit back in the day. According to the instructions, the reverse wheels were for the drag car option.

george, i believe the reversed wheel in question is an orphan that can be seen in this photo:

IMAG0037_zps830044cc.jpg

you will notice in the photo that there are a row of various wheels, chrome reversed with baby moon, 2 style of mags. you will also notice that there are chrome reversed with baby moon wheels in various other places on the sprue. but if you notice about half way down on the left side of the sprue, under what appears to be a chrome oil pan, there is a lone chrome reversed without hubcap wheel. that is the one being discussed. i think i agree with the above that it was for display on an extended rear shelf.

Although I have a couple of the Buyers Choice editions, this re-release is definitely on my wish list.

Partly due to the rework round-2 has done, like a better fit of the hoods on the cowl area (the originals were a little short) and because I used to work at Opel.

I've just learned a local plastic pusher got a load of new amt kits, but sadly the Opel isn't part of the batch.

I thought they were made in Germany?

They were assembled in Germany, but the bodyshell was produced in France,

I thought both the 1.1 and 1.9 were standard pushrod engines.

The 1.1 was an OHV, but the 1.9 was an OHC engine

Edited by GeeBee

They were assembled in Germany, but the bodyshell was produced in France,

Cool fact I never knew. I've always liked the Opel GT since I lived in Germany when they were new. I have a few of the past issues as built ups that need to be redone. I need to get a new one!

• 3 weeks later...