Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renault 4L from Heller and Ebbro

Luc Janssens

I'm surprised that Heller hadn't done a DS in 1/24 scale. They did so in large scale. From the description of the new Heller, anything is possible!

Would be nice, they could offer several model years and even the break (yeah I know it's but ugly ;^)

Citroen_ds_break_h_sst.jpg

Anyhow...nice to see that they're doing a European young-timer and hope this opens the door to lots more...

This is great news from Heller and I hope it all goes well.

I'm still hoping for a series of English classics as 1.24th kits. It seems to me that the Morris Minor and Ford Cortina are among the most conspicuously absent subjects in this scale and would surely sell as well as any Renault or Citroen.

I'm still hoping for a series of English classics as 1.24th kits. It seems to me that the Morris Minor and Ford Cortina are among the most conspicuously absent subjects in this scale and would surely sell as well as any Renault or Citroen.

Airfix would be a prime candidate for that, but for some reason they still hold on to 1/32nd scale

They could start for instance with a Lotus Cortina and Ford Capri MkI

Revell Gemany I would love to see doing, a Opel Rekord C, or Manta/Ascone 400...

We can dream don't we....

Air Trax do a Cortina Mk1 (saloon & estate), as well as a Morris Minor, both in resin, if that's of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes those R4 vans were everywhere in this country during the 70's/80's, as the Post and phone utility companies used them, along with the Electric to a lesser degree. Then they were sold on to the private market so still were everywhere.

The green as pictured was the later scheme (An Post) but the iconic colour here was a dirty orange with "p&t" lettering.

As for Cortinas, 1977-1980 Mk4 for me please, both estate and saloon, L, GL, Ghia and S versions wanted! (C'mon Airfix or Revell, you know it makes sense...)

This is so exciting :)

My parents bought a green '73 when I was a kid, and I grew up in that car. This one for sure is on my shortlist. There is really no need to bash the low parts count - there wasn't really that many more parts to the 1:1 car anyway. They were really, really spartan. That said, I think Heller did a wise choice in going for this one. It is not an exciting car in and of itself, but there was millions made, in many parts of the world, and a lot of people have some kind of emotional connection to them. There is also possibilities for development of the tool for ,yes, the van and pickup, but also the sinpar four-wheel-drive conversion that did fairly well in the 1979 Paris - Dakar rally.

i048846_zpscd683ecd.jpg

Other than that, if they provide the big fabric sunroof, we can build the one prominently featured in the 1984 movie "Romancing the stone"

003004nq43417_zps0778ea4b.jpg

So a big pat on the back to Heller for bringing this one out. Now, what I would really want to see them do (Not only for my own sake, but I think they might sell a few) is to tool up some coachbuilder bodies to go with their 1950 Talbot-Lago.

9426294329_c2f6b03c1e_zpsde295636.jpg

51talbot-lago-story-autocoll_zps41fc4c3c

The Ebbro kit is 1/20, and the Heller one will be 1/24.

WHAT?

All due respect to you, but this makes no sense in any shape or form.

Please authenticate.

If the kits are different scales, then they need their own set of tooling cut - no interchangeable parts and so on. It would kind of beat the purpose of this kind of joint venture in the first place.

I can see from the parts on display that they are combining side window panes with the door upholstery part. I've seen that done in the past, which kit was that again - that was a Heller one, yes?

The Ebbro kit is 1/20, and the Heller one will be 1/24.

No it's not, the Ebbro one is in 1:24th scale, only there F1 are in 1:20th, and there's no tie up between Ebbro and Heller, both versions are of a different vintage of the R4, the Heller version is a later model, here's a few test shots of the Ebbro kits

post-2058-0-40670600-1391279240_thumb.jp

post-2058-0-18673100-1391279250_thumb.jp

post-2058-0-70996200-1391279275_thumb.jp

post-2058-0-08067200-1391279282_thumb.jp

I asked my boss who is in Nuremberg to check and that's what he told me, he could be wrong or mistyped, he actually had meetings with Ebbro and Heller this morning. Personally, I'd be surprised if it was actually 1/20. My first thought was that 1/20 was a typo.

Edited by Brett Barrow