Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/20th 1970 AMC AMX

Austin T

OK I'll admit I got super excited when I saw this, as many of you know I'm a rather big AMC guy. This has been one of those kit's I've always wanted to get at least one to see what it's like, but since it will be hitting shelves soon (This October) I may have to purchase multiple copies. I'm very curious to see how this will work out quality wise and price wise, if anyone has one tucked away and can reflect on the quality of the kit please do, I've never been able to look at one up close.

I have one I built long ago; don't really remember any building issues (otherwise I'd never have finished it back then!). Mine was molded in blue and I fogged Lime Gold over the nose and tail (it was the '70s and I was 11). The front wheels steered and the seats folded with little chrome hinges.

By the way, after posting about this kit, I went to Round 2's web site and saw and few other cool old AMT kits just announced. I think Round 2 is trying to run me into the poor house. And you know what? I'm happily going along with it!

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Being a AMC fan, owning 2 right now, I am happy to see any AMC kit. BUT.....a 1/20 scale AMX is not what I'd pick first. Talk to any wholesaler and 1/20 is a dog sales wise. Good to see re-tooled parts, that will help some. I hope it does well and makes AMT/R2 look at the Matador kit or GASP....a new AMC tool. I vote a new tool 1971 Javelin that can be issued as any 71-74 Javelin or AMX, street stock, Trans-Am, drag etc. A viable kit IMHO.

PS I have two of the MPC AMX kits.....just a bigger version of a 1/25 scale kit....not much different.

.a new AMC tool. I vote a new tool 1971 Javelin that can be issued as any 71-74 Javelin or AMX, street stock, Trans-Am, drag etc. A viable kit IMHO.

I would fully support that effort. Can we start a kickstarter for that? :lol: Seriously though I've got three Jo-Hans that I'm afraid to build, all are in various shapes and none came to cheap.

I had the 1/20 AMX when it was first issued. I remember that it had actual soft, vinyl seats and it was molded in blue. I don't think I ever finished it because of the scale difference. I wouldn't get it now for the same reason, but if someone were to produce one in 1/25, I would- and the Matador, too.

After a rather rough week at work, it's nice to come home to learn of this very pleasant surprise! I once owned a 1:1 '69 390 4-spd, so I'll take any and all things AMX. In fact, I once had a 1/20 '68(?) MPC kit, but it was "lost" in a move years ago.

With all the new and very much wanted releases this year------especially for the second half, I'm going to be in the poorhouse as well as far as model dollars. This despite the fact that I just got a raise on the job! :D

Here's mine, just to give you some idea of the stock-ish version (with a few mods - remember, I was 11). The kit was a castoff from a classmate and was missing the exhaust and rear roll pan:

14629782124_a73d0dca98_c.jpg

The grille with inner headlights is molded in; there's an insert to make the stock grille. I blacked-out the outer headlights to make them look like intakes for cold-air induction, or brake cooling, or something...

14651820743_af222e552a_c.jpg

14629783054_0caf99d7e7_c.jpg

14631906695_19161e85fc_c.jpg

14445499817_40175938ab_c.jpg

(Just to clarify: the seats recline but don't fold forward.)

Nice kit - captures the look of the car and the larger size makes it easier to detail. Now I'm tempted to build another... <_<

Edit: Forgot to mention - those tires have slots for plastic whitewall inserts that will start melting into the vinyl the moment you insert them, as usual, so I just reversed the tires.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I'm not too crazy about the 1/20 scale, either. It means that none of the aftermarket goodies I have for 1/24 or 1/25 models won't work so I'd have to find a new source for everything, like plug wires, battery cables etc etc. And that's not good. But when looking and the pics that Chris posted, I actually got really interested, the chassis is looking actually pretty good and what I can see of the interior, it's not too bad either. Maybe I might pick one of these when they hit the stores, it looks like it's much more authentic than the Jo-Han 1/25 scale kit.

MPC was a bit madding when this kit was first issued. Their 1/25 kits had so-so detail with a few exceptions but their 1/20th stuff had detail that would stack up well with most kits today. One of the first kits I built was their 1/20th 1969 Corvette. . Then this kit....the same can be said. Very nicely detailed. It seemed that MPC had two skill levels then. One for 1/25th, which was lower and 1/20th which was a true replica.

I agree with Dave that the scale is the issue. I can't see many people getting excited about 1/20th. The most successful 1/20th series is the Tamiya F! series. This doesn't seem to fit in well with that series. It is too small to display well with 1/16ths and too large for 1/25ths.

George Toteff (created the 3-in-1 kit and one-piece bodies while at AMT, founded MPC, resurrected Lindberg) was obsessed with 1/20th, I've never really understood why.

Maybe because it's a good size, but he had the media wrong, if he would've done ready made 1/20th scale diecast instead of plastic model kits in the 70s, model kit manufactures probably wouldn't have had the 80s revival...just sayin'

;^)

Edited by Luc Janssens

George Toteff (created the 3-in-1 kit and one-piece bodies while at AMT, founded MPC, resurrected Lindberg) was obsessed with 1/20th, I've never really understood why.

Bigger parts, easier for kids to handle...also, the price point would have been a bit higher. The 1/20 scale car kits retailed for $3 when most 1/25 scale kits were $2.

The 1/20 scale Corvettes were pretty much like the 1/25 scale ones, just bigger. The Ford Econoline kits were beautiful, but like most other folks, I wish they'd been 1/25 scale. Looking at the one I've got now, it probably could have been done in 1/25 with most (if not all) of its working features intact.