Model Cars Magazine Forum

"NEW" MPC Dukes of Hazzard kit not what you expected

Greg Myers

I don't see the point of re-doing a tool that fit the bill. This doesn't seem any different. Maybe somebody knows why. They might also sell pre-decorated ones as well?

The Duke's last Charger 1/25 issue had the Confederate flag airbrushed off the box original artwork. Can't remember if the decal was in the box. The movie company or Round2s lawyers probably nixxed it.

Looking at the instructions linked above, it looks good for what it is. I'm guessing the aftermarket will have to take care of missing Confederate flag. Political correctness is my reason for recently buying the last issue of Rommel's Rod. I'm willing to bet the next time we see that kit, the swastika decal on the spare tire will be altered or gone. I'm not sure if this the right thing to do or not. I can't say that the sides that used those symbols in the past were in the right. The symbols themselves do not offend me. The acts the people who used those two symbols in the past does offend me. So I can kind of see the point of losing the flag.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

OK. Want see me get lots of hate comments here? Like I said in my above post, a lot of people did a lot of bad things under the Confederate flag. Look at all the '69 Chargers wrecked in making that show. I find that offensive. For that reason alone I will never build a model of the Dukes of Hazzard Charger.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

One of the reasons for going with the Charger for the General was before the Dukes these cars were cheap, worn out used cars - sure they looked cool but almost nobody was calling them "classic" and with a couple hundred thousand built the standard models weren't particularly rare or even exciting. In reality without the Dukes the cars would have gone through the "normal" cycle and its likely just about all of them would have been crushed anyways by the mid eighties

At least with the show they went out in a final blaze of glory

Probably likely the interest sparked by the show in the second gen Charger actually saved more cars than were trashed by the stuntmen

Previous General Lee kits are still easily obtainable and have the flag. So a new kit, a snap together at that and I even double checked this time, that does not have it is not a big deal.

And this kit is aimed at kids and not full grown men. Trust me, most kids won't know or care and if you want them to know about the flag, then you teach your kids about it.

Edited by Daddyfink

I wonder if the flag will be included on the decal sheet, but its just not being advertised that it is, and the person that did the build up was told to leave it off, just a thought.

Isnt the bandit t/a missing the Confederate flag on tbe licence plates aswell?

No, it has it Edited by martinfan5

I wonder if the flag will be included on the decal sheet, but its just not being advertised that it is, and the person that did the build up was told to leave it off, just a thought.

The box-art kit was built from an early test shot. The decals weren't ready yet, so they sent a sheet from the glue kit with specific instructions not to apply the flag as Warner Bros. wouldn't allow it.

I'm guessing the decal sheet for this kit won't include the flag, but I could be wrong.

One of the reasons for going with the Charger for the General was before the Dukes these cars were cheap, worn out used cars - sure they looked cool but almost nobody was calling them "classic" and with a couple hundred thousand built the standard models weren't particularly rare or even exciting. In reality without the Dukes the cars would have gone through the "normal" cycle and its likely just about all of them would have been crushed anyways by the mid eighties

At least with the show they went out in a final blaze of glory

Probably likely the interest sparked by the show in the second gen Charger actually saved more cars than were trashed by the stuntmen

"A couple hundred thousand built"? Total production for 1969 Dodge Chargers, base, SE, 500, was about 69,100. On to that you can another 21,100 Charger R/Ts. They were not as common as you seem to think. The 2nd generation Chargers had a following from day one. They were becoming collectible by the time Dukes of Hazzard was on the air. There were many car guys like me, unhappy watching them wreck these Chargers on a regular basis.

By the way, it was the 1st generation Charger that was slow take off in the collector market. The '66 and '67 Chargers were not big sellers when new. Dodge built right around 37,300 66's. And only 15,788 67's. '68 was the year Charger was redesigned and sales took off. That year they built approximately 96,100 Chargers. 3rd gen also did fairly well. But, it replaced both the Coronet 2 doors and previous Chargers.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Numbers I had seen for the 3rd gen were 96,108 for all models of the '68, 89,199 for '69 (and 49,798 '70s)- technically less than 200,000 68-69's but still almost a quarter million of the body style built and a relatively high percentage surviving today, the 300 or so used by the show a relative drop in the bucket

Around 1980-81 within 15 miles of our small town in mid-Michigan there were 3 fully done up "General Lees"- have to imagine the number of copies (most of which probably were later restored to a more tasteful configuration) vastly outnumbered the actual TV cars

Much less lamenting over the "Some vehicles supplied by American Motors" 4 door Matadors wrecked

Personally I'm a big Charger fan, owned a 4 speed '68 for a while years ago, and outgrew the Dukes after about their second season (at age 8 or 9), In fact my first car ride was in a silver '68

47420015.jpg

I don't know what's going on with those wheels...But the test shot on the Round2 site, shows it with the Stars and Bars flag on it. Hopefully it's just not included in the instructions for (why?????) Sorry, I can't think of any logical reason they wold purposely make a model inaccurate,

5-2014-WF-booth5.jpg

OK. Want see me lots of hate comments here? Like I said in my above post, a lot of people did a lot of bad things under the Confederate flag. Look at all the '69 Chargers wrecked in making that show. I find that offensive. For that reason alone I will never build a model of the Dukes of Hazzard Charger.

Scott

The producers Of DOH committed Charger-cide! Send them to The Hague for war crimes!

This isn't related to that Racing Chumpions/RC2 diecast General Lee by chance, is it?

Highly unlikely.

The tool was still a "work in progress" when they sent me a test shot. The body and clear parts section of the tooling weren't polished yet, meaning the body required extensive sanding/prep before it was painted, and glass and taillight lenses from the glue kit were substituted as the snap parts were unusable at that stage.

I'm no expert on diecast General Lees, but this kit doesn't resemble any 1/25-1/24 diecast General I've ever seen.

I can't explain the flag on the Wonderfest display kit either....pretty small pic but it looks like my build with the flag added after the fact.

Edited by pack rat

Joe, it's funny you mentioned that. I used to have 2 1/25 diecast ERTL Dukes Chargers. One was made in the USA and the other made in China, I think. Both were different tools.

Not sure if the would use those tools.

One was probably a real ERTL product, while the other was probably one of Racing Chumps "replicas" :P

I think it's ridicullous to leave that Rebel Flag away. I must admit that I was a bit interested in this kit, but without the flag I'm sure I won't be buying it. I would have liked to build a Dukes Of Hazzard Charger, but I'm not so interested in it that I'd buy the kit and aftermarket decals... I think this is a big minus point to Round 2. <_<

This one is a snap kit, I believe?

as it is on the box written. Are there more pictures about it?

They are writing on the homepage "new tooled"...is it true? Had the cleaned the body behind the rear window and removed the panellines as the new released General (not the Cahrger 500-bodything) it has?