Model Cars Magazine Forum

"NEW" altered Tee body parts pack kit

Greg Myers

What body, did AMT originally figured for use with their parts pack chassis? There must be some old timers out there who know?

Scott

I've often wondered the same thing. Maybe '32 Ford, or the regular T, or maybe as a base for a wild scratchbuilt body of your own design. Back in that timeframe, lotta guys were building their own wild bodies out of balsa and such. Strange but true! I have one I'm planning to build a street Fiat on.

you do realize he is asking the exact opposite question: which body fits the parts pack chassis?

I think the answer is nothing specific, it was just offered for modelers to do what they wanted with it.

as to anyone ever building a car out of parts packs? if you include revell parts packs then of course: there were three kits of six cars that were engineered from the parts pack sprues. according to some they were changed around a little from the actual parts packs but I do not know how other than nothing but the engine sprues were chrome plated.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

well they have been shown here before but from memory they were the fumin fiat, thunder charger, mooneyes dragster, bantam bomber, sanitary T and scarlet screamer. look around a little bit under various "parts packs" threads and you will find photos of the boxes.

jb

The above discussion is all fine and good. But again, and it seems like JB's the only one getting it, what can be built using the parts pack chassis as a base? What was designed, if anything, to fit that chassis? By the way, does AMT's parts pack engines even fit that chassis? It seems to me when I tried mock fitting them a few years ago, none of them fit too well.

Scott

well they have been shown here before but from memory they were the fumin fiat, thunder charger, mooneyes dragster, bantam bomber, sanitary T and scarlet screamer. look around a little bit under various "parts packs" threads and you will find photos of the boxes.

jb

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65815&page=6

Here you go.

AMT Parts Pack T Bucket on AMT Parts Pack "Hot Rod" Chassis. Both from the releases of 5ish years ago when they were in full sized boxes with Allison engines and other stuff.

TeaCaddy02.jpg

TeaCaddy06.jpg

Engine is (I think) a Revell Parts Pack Caddy.

From memory the body did not fit the chassis very easilly and cutting was needed. I modified it anyway reducing the "tubs" to give more room for a seat.

Here is this same Parts Pack roadster body kit on top of the Fiat Altered chassis from the Double Dragster set. Don't make the same mistake I did! I built the chassis straight from the box. The roadster body kit IS a direct fit but as this picture illustrates, considerably shorter than the Fiat body leaving a huge gap between the engine and cowl. I didn't do any extensive test fitting because I was under the impression that there was no alteration required to the Fiat chassis. Wrong! So if anyone is going to use this body on the Fiat chassis, the engine needs to be moved back and the drive line shortened accordingly. Compare my model with Bernard's above. His is right, mine is wrong.

IMG_8624.jpg

A few more. The engine placement isn't as horrible from 3/4 shots...

IMG_8621.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

I like this! Very eye-catching! Thanks for the heads-up about engine placement, I see what you mean. Altered rules state that engine setback could be 25% of wheelbase (measured at the center of the forwardmost cylinder) so that's what I'll be going for. I'm going to build mine as close to "out of the box" as I can stand, but I think I'll be raising the height of the rollbar a bit.

Haven't decided on a color yet, though it will almost certainly be something I have on hand. Going for Cheap, here. B)

Talked to one of the old timers at the MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota) meeting tonight about the T body, and is it designed to fit the parts pack chassis? He seem to remember that fit together pretty well. And remember building the two together in the past.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Talked to one of the old timers at the MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota) meeting tonight about the T body, and is it designed to fit the parts pack chassis? He seem to remember that fit together pretty well. And remember build the two together in the past.

Scott

It may be that the "T" body is a good fit on the parts pack tube chassis but I've never had that frame to try it out. The instructions that come with body do clearly show the Fiat Altered frame and label it as a "typical competition frame." The roll bar that comes with the T body is also a perfect fit to the Fiat frame.