Model Cars Magazine Forum

Doodlebugs, Scrambolas, Jitterbugs, and Field Crawlers (And Other Types) CBP

Dr. Cranky

Okay I just came across this thread for the first time. So I'll play. I've had this one started for a long time. It's been screaming to get off the unfinished project shelf for a while now...

doodlebug-vi.jpg

I'll get going on it as soon as I get the '34 Ford rat rod and Dodge Van Camper off the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

I hesitated to post progress shots of this, because it's my first model in 6 months (rebuilt a moped engine) and I wanted to be sure I was going to finish it. Anyways, here it is: I started with AMT's 1951 Chevy Fleetline and reduced the length of the frame by about a scale foot and a half. I know it's a little "new" for the Doodlebug era, but I wanted to build something different. My hope was to make it more of a side-by-side type of utility vehicle; something that Dad built from that old car out behind the barn that would putter around the family farm, moving feed, hay, and the little 'uns. :) Most of the body was cut away and, in doing this, I had to come up with a couple of creative ways of holding the front together. The back box is styrene sheet and angle, the welds are made from putty. I found the rear tires on a toy tractor from Quality Farm and Fleet.

d5k4t.jpg?2

nqzed.jpg

z9uCc.jpg

u13PH.jpg

Thanks for this unique CB, Doc! I had a lot of fun and ended up with a model I never would have thought of building.

Hmmmmm. You are all quite strange.

Well done.

Here's something i've been working on for 4 1/2 years (it sits next to my bench and gets picked up & worked on intermittently).

FodebaletWIP02-05-10.jpg

It's Pigbog the Fodebalet (FOrd + stuDEBAker + chevroLET) and since this pic has grown more rust & lost the big front tyres.

I might finish it one day...

I hesitated to post progress shots of this, because it's my first model in 6 months (rebuilt a moped engine) and I wanted to be sure I was going to finish it. Anyways, here it is: I started with AMT's 1951 Chevy Fleetline and reduced the length of the frame by about a scale foot and a half. I know it's a little "new" for the Doodlebug era, but I wanted to build something different. My hope was to make it more of a side-by-side type of utility vehicle; something that Dad built from that old car out behind the barn that would putter around the family farm, moving feed, hay, and the little 'uns. :) Most of the body was cut away and, in doing this, I had to come up with a couple of creative ways of holding the front together. The back box is styrene sheet and angle, the welds are made from putty. I found the rear tires on a toy tractor from Quality Farm and Fleet.

Very cool! It sorta reminds me of a specific vehicle. When my family moved to NJ in 1973, I remember seeing a 1958 Plymouth two door offered for sale at a local farm. It didn't get sold so it eventually got cut off like your car as a field truck. I remember seeing it there with the nose on it, windshield intact, but the rest of the body gone. It eventually got retired and wound up in the adjacent woods. In 1977, once we were of driving age, my buddy bought a '59 Plymouth and in due time blew the engine. I remembered the field car Plymouth and we went to take a look. The farmer was delighted to sell it to us for $100 and the flathead 6 went right into my friend's '59!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 weeks later...