Model Cars Magazine Forum

Impala SS-Lincoln Wagon rod

kk916

I picked this Impala up in the Clearance section at Michael's for a few bucks a couple of months back. Now that I've finally finished unpacking at my new place I decided I'd get to work on something worth finishing.

P5070012.jpg

I cut the roof off with the intentions of making a roadster out of it. I didn't like the way it was looking so I was about to throw it in my parts bin and wait till I got something else going when I remembered I had an old Lincoln Continental Wagon roof laying around that I never used. Well here is the result.

Excuse the horrible pics, I'm not sure what is going on with my camera at the moment but you get the idea.

P7140012-1.jpg

P7140003.jpg

P7140014-1.jpg

Now heres where the issue lies....Ahh the joys of custom work. Its more of advice needed than an issue but yeah.... I got the roof roughly the way I want it but the impala body get wider in the middle and the Lincoln roof does not. My problems are the glass fitting if I widen the roof, and the B pillar not lining up to the rear of the back door if I shorten it in the front. The only thing I can think of ot make it fit is force the roof out a little in the middle (then the glass wont fit...again) or to widen the body a little and pull the quarters back.

Here is a rough version of what I mean in MS Paint.....

roof.jpg

Basically what I want to do is get the roof to fit without moving the B Pillar or cutting the glass.

Any suggestions?

what i would do, is cut the lincoln roof at the red line that i have drawn.

then graft the rear part of the impala roof that you had previously removed, to the back of the lincoln roof. Quite a bit of custom fab work is envolved, but it will look pretty cool. you will also have to round off the bottom of the roof, to the "end gate" portion.

wagn.jpg

just an idea

Dude, yer messin with big karma stuff there, mixin Ford & Chebby stuffs, no wonder yer havin porblems :D

Looks veddy interesting! :P Hope you get it figured out. What else is planned for it?

im planning on doing it as well but mie is a bit older then this one :lol:

I sort of warped the roof trying to get it to fit so it looks like this might have a little bit of scratch building involved. :lol: I'm not giving up on this one though, this is a second attempt at making something cool out of something I would never usually build (The Impala that is). :lol: I'll update with some more pics later.

As for what I have planned for it...I'm thinking big rims/brakes, slammed out and maybe some 59 El Camino wheel Wells or some sort of crazy front end if I can get them to look right. :P A Little Boyd looking (again, usually something I would never do) and a little bit of an old school flare. I just dont want it to look tacky. So I'm pretty much planning as I go.