Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 40 Ford Sedan Stock Car , first time building

CrazyGirl

Battery clamp looks great, I'd venture to say 90 percent of us on this board have never built one. I use cheapish $10 for a 6 pack of metal files from the hardware shop (probably much cheaper in the states though) and nail files from the dollar store (The wider ones with foam like stuff in the middle) they come in assorted grits , yes they are throw a ways when used but you get a lot of use for your dollar.

On another note your car looks great, I sure wouldnt have attempted a build like this at this stage modelling, so good on you for that.

Edited by brett

Great overall, and a fantastic battery terminal.

Do come by for a MassCar meeting if you have a 3rd Wednesday off. We meet at 7:00 in Medfield at 45 West St. (big steel building, enter the right door for the landscape office, not the dance studio....the prima ballerinas might get scared of the X-Acto knives).

Charlie Larkin

Short track cars are my favorite thing in the whole world, and I think you're doing ok on this so far. I meant to comment back when you were talking about the master cylinder but never did....I just wanted to say that a lot of guys did indeed move the master cylinder to the firewall instead of leaving it chassis mounted, so if you put it on the firewall you'll be ok. I'm gathering reference to build a '34 Ford dirt track car that raced in '61, and it clearly shows the master cylinder on the firewall. Quite common back then.

Fuel lines look ok but should come out of the carb into a junction fitting or "T" of some sort, then one line to the pump.

Anyway....is this supposed to be a replica of a real car that raced way back when, or a more modern "vintage class" racer?

this was a car my neighbor had when i was little , raced at Seekonk Speedway in the early 60's , i remember it had a 427 or it may have been 409 , but it was not a dirt track car he raced , but the fuel line , i didn't feel like buying any fittings for this build or making one , this build is not even close to being as good as i wanted it to turn out , but it is my first one :lol: , but i do remember clearly that the firewall was bare cause i remember him clearly taking the body off a lot and it took like 10 minutes and a handfull of screws , i also remember it had this mallory ignition , he flipped a switch and i remember it making several beeps and then firing up

Oh, that's just awesome! It's great to keep memories alive like this, especially short track cars! And I haven't even bothered with fuel lines and such in awhile...I just leave the hood shut....so you're doing better than me!

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing it finished!

Lookin' good, Anne. I echo the sentiments of the others who have responded to this thread in saying how impressed I am with your "chutzpah" in taking on such a detailed project for a first build. And even more so that your succeeding with such aplomb.

By the way, tee fittings are actually fairly simple to make; a short piece of styrene rod slightly larger than your wire, a drill the same size as your wire, and three "gold tone"(brass) #00 or #1 crimp beads. Way easier than battery terminals!

Here's a brake line fitting done this way:

IMG_1128.jpg

Lookin' good, Anne. I echo the sentiments of the others who have responded to this thread in saying how impressed I am with your "chutzpah" in taking on such a detailed project for a first build. And even more so that your succeeding with such aplomb.

By the way, tee fittings are actually fairly simple to make; a short piece of styrene rod slightly larger than your wire, a drill the same size as your wire, and three "gold tone"(brass) #00 or #1 crimp beads. Way easier than battery terminals!

Here's a brake line fitting done this way:

IMG_1128.jpg

Great build. Thanks for sharing this.

Anne

I have to say that this is not my area of interest but looking at what you have done so far to a very familiar kit, I have to say that your work is excellent. Especially for a first build. You are customizing this just as much as those of us who build the Kustoms, just a different outcome. Keep at it and I'll be watching the progress.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John ,,,,,,, but i now have another problem ,,,,,, remember the line from Jaws , " i think we need a bigger boat " ,,,, well i need a bigger table :lol:

i find that it doesn't matter how big my workspace is, it always needs to be bigger :D

• 5 weeks later...