Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya shows new life. Mercedes McLaren SLR coming!

Kit #24290 will be a 1/24 scale Mercedes McLaren SLR. No other details yet, it's in the "coming soon" section of their website.

It's about bloody time :roll: :lol:

Maybe there is hope they'll do a Ferrari FXX too.

Oh Goodie!! :D

I wonder if it'll have the same kind of detail like their fabulous Enzo........swing up doors and all??!!

I would love to see what Tamiya could do in certain 1:12 scale cars...........Cobra Daytona anyone? :shock:

I'd be stoked with a full detail 1:24 Cobra Daytona from Tamiya!

You guys are nuts if you think Tamiya's ever going to do a Cobra Daytona!

Accurate Miniatures is the best bet; if they keep their promises. They claim they have the license to do any of the "transverse-springed 289's" which means they can do the Daytona coupe if they so desire. They certainly are planning a number of them, though I didn't hear them actually say a Daytona coupe. Considering Gunze's Daytona was always a very expensive kit from day 1 (IIRC it was a $50 kit when released), and never easy to acquire, I'd think AM would be nuts not to do the Cobra Daytona.

Accurate Miniature's upcoming (I sure hope) FIA/USRRC 289 roadster should be a real gem of a kit, if what I was told via email by Bob Johnson/Accurate Miniatures sometime last year comes true. I can only hope that these upcoming kits lay the groundwork for a Daytona Coupe, I could then die a happy modeller :-)

Brian

Accurate Miniature's upcoming (I sure hope) FIA/USRRC 289 roadster should be a real gem of a kit, if what I was told via email by Bob Johnson/Accurate Miniatures sometime last year comes true. I can only hope that these upcoming kits lay the groundwork for a Daytona Coupe, I could then die a happy modeller :-)

Brian

Ditto that Brian!

If AM did the Daytona Coupe with their level of detail..............it would probably be one of the most desirable of all the Cobra kits ever! :D Let's just hope that the new 289 roadster kits aren't as fiddly as the Grand Sport 'Vettes.

As far as Tamiya doing a 1:12 Cobra Daytona.................A guy can dream can't he? :lol:

As far as Tamiya doing a 1:12 Cobra Daytona.................A guy can dream can't he? :lol:

It would be great; but if Tamiya did it in 1/12 it would end up being diecast. Actually I'm surprised that someone doesn't offer the SLR in 1/12 diecast (maybe they do?) since the Enzo and McLaren F1 were done in that scale for collectors.

Though personally my dream is to see the Cobra Daytona coupe and McLaren F1 made into 1/24 scale kits.

Since I haven't built one of the Grand Sport Corvette kits, could you explain what ya mean by "fiddly?" I'd hate to go buy one and then find out that it's a pile of junk like a few other kits I can think of.

I built one when it first came out, the photo etched hood vents are a little fiddly, but go together nice if you take your time, and the frame had some grooves on the bottom to fill, but other than that it went together nice. now you add the MCG photoetch & resin detail set and things get really fiddly, but still builds into a really nice replica...

...now the McLaren on the other hand...

I have one of the McLaren kits and they are a handful. I have gotten as far as groking the kit in the box and that is about it. I did read the directions and mine state that the modeler must make a decision as to how the model will be displayed. The directions mention that with all the goodies attached, some of the body panels may not fit. Mine went back in the box till I get up the courage to start :lol::)

Since I haven't built one of the Grand Sport Corvette kits, could you explain what ya mean by "fiddly?" I'd hate to go buy one and then find out that it's a pile of junk like a few other kits I can think of.

I built this one a few years ago. The decals for the center stripe absolutely would not conform to the body, so I painted it instead. I don't know if I made a mistake, but the tie-rod was too long to fit, so I left it out. The kit is "fiddly", but I won't call it "junk"....far from it. It's a cool kit of a unique subject, and with some patience, will build into a nice replica. Ya know, I might just have to get another one :lol:

Brian

64vettegs-1.jpg

64vettegs-2.jpg

It would be great; but if Tamiya did it in 1/12 it would end up being diecast. Actually I'm surprised that someone doesn't offer the SLR in 1/12 diecast (maybe they do?) since the Enzo and McLaren F1 were done in that scale for collectors.

Though personally my dream is to see the Cobra Daytona coupe and McLaren F1 made into 1/24 scale kits.

You can reserve your 1/12 scale die cast at the website below. They're only asking for a deposit of $1000.00. http://www.legacydiecast.com/xq/asp/id.C006A/qx/review.htm

Mmmmm. Maserati Birdcage. I'd love to see Tamiya (or anyone) tackle that one prototypically...though the engineers would go nuts before the first tooling was cut :D

Here's a bit more translated data (see how they translate "Mille Miglia" and other names...very amusing :shock: :wink: ) on the SLR. It's coming in late August.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

• 3 weeks later...
That is sharp Brian!

I have one of Harold Bradford's Grand Sport Roadster transkits I should try to build sometime................That would also be a neat subject for AM to model! 8)

Try one of Brad's Cobra Daytona's if you don't already have one, Bill.

Really only choice other than Gunze. Someone else does one as well in resin, but it's not nearly as good.

Really only choice other than Gunze. Someone else does one as well in resin, but it's not nearly as good.

Is this the Model Factory Hiro kit that's not as good? For $233+ it better be!

Brad's sure is nice, I can't see spending more for the Japanese kit, and I do rather despise the white metal components that MFH seems to rely on a bit too much. I guess those of us skinflints who pine for an $11 Cobra Daytona coupe by Revell aren't going to be happy any time soon :D

Yes, I do have one of Harold's Cobra Daytonas...............and it is nice!! It's based on the Gunze kit...........and Harold took steps to make the assembly easier than the old Gunze one.

Not to mention full engine detail, and some reference pics to makes things easier!

..........I guess those of us skinflints who pine for an $11 Cobra Daytona coupe by Revell aren't going to be happy any time soon.....

Hey!! I resemble that comment! :shock: :lol:

Seriously, I hope the upcoming Accurate Miniatures 289 roadster kits are successful enough for them to do a Daytona Coupe kit....

Hey!! I resemble that comment! :shock: :lol:

Seriously, I hope the upcoming Accurate Miniatures 289 roadster kits are successful enough for them to do a Daytona Coupe kit....

Don't forget I did say "us" :D How cool would it be if it did happen?

And I agree about AM...lots of potential, hope they get 'em done, and done right. I like Cobra 289's more than 427's anyway :wink:

I know Bob - just messin with ya :lol:

What frustrates me about the "$11 Cobra Daytona coupe by Revell" is that alot of the pieces are sorta there already. They have a "leaf spring" chassis in the 1:43 "Ultimates" Cobra, they had to make pattern models for the 1:32 Daytona slotcar body, they have a good example of how to tool a Cobra in their 427 roadster kits (and a good example of how not to tool one in the AMT 289 kit), and they have a history of producing Shelby/Ford licenced kits. Such a kit won't set the world on fire in the initial release, but like the 427 kits, it could be re-issued every few years with different decals, it could spawn a 289 roadster kit, and could be paired with other Shelby kits as a combo pack release. Oh well, I'll keep waiting for the Acc Mins roadster, and hope that it spawns a Daytona Coupe...