Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi all,

First post and first time I've painted a model car (I've done tanks and figures before mind you). I thought I would shall the progress and get some exprt feedback. The resin conversion parts are from Dark World Creations (I understand these parts are going to be on their website soon - I picked them up from a show).

Any feedback would be warmly received.

Oh, it's great to be here ;)

120930DSC_1629.jpg

120930DSC_1628.jpg

120930DSC_1626.jpg

Thanks guys, it's good to know that I'm headed in the right direction :) I've been wondering how I could paint some dead flies and muck on the front but haven't come up with a good plan yet - any ideas how to simulate that?

So rather than more weathering I've been working on the wooden flat bed and a resin box from Dark World Creations.

121012DSC_1651.jpg

121012DSC_1652.jpg

I'm still progressing with it, I need to (somehow - don't know how yet) add some dead flies stuck to the front and mud splatters up the side (which I can eaily do).

With regard to the weathering; I've build up lots of very thin transparent layers of dirty or muddy coloured paint ( using a brush). You have to make sure each layer is dry before doing the next one otherwise its quite a straight forward technique once you've got the paint to the right consistency. The to finish I used a tamiya weathering kit (the one with white, black and rust)

The rust spots were applied using a sponge with very dark brown paint. I then picked out the lower edge of these random spots with a light blue colour to make it look 3d.

Hope this gives to an idea.

Many thanks for all your kind comments.

Regarding the method I've used to weather it, in miniature figure circles it's called glazing or sometimes people say its like applying a filter. I guess before the end I'll be adding some weathering powders too, just to give it that dusty look.

IMG_9228vi-vi.jpg

Your model is pretty cool! Not a criticism, but a tip on a detail. Look at the hood (bonnet) side trim. Note that the two horizontal bars are seperate, the round piece in your photo is a bit of the tool sprue. Also, between the two bars up front, the FORD plate is a seperate piece so put a bit of body color paint between the pieces. See the above photo for that detail. Cheers!