Model Cars Magazine Forum

So...tell me about Floquil enamels

I came across some of these enamels* recently, and they look like high quality products, but I don't think they're very well known among car modelers, whereas I've heard they have a great reputation in the model railroad community.

My main question is about the best reducer for airbrushing. The shop was completely out of Floquil thinner, and in most painting scenarios, we're usually advised to "stay within the system", i.e. only use the same mfrs paints & reducers, etc.

Does anyone here have direct experience using some other kind of reducer with these enamels? (Testors? Lacquer thinner?).

If you've painted any projects with these paints, show us some pics!

*Floquil also offers acrylic paints. This thread is only about their enamels.

I've used them in the past, as they have some pretty decent colours in the range, I've always used lacquer thinners to thin them out, looking at the data sheet for there Floquil thinners, it contains 45% Naphtha, 10% Xylene, 5% Ethyl Benzene, and 10% hydrocarbon solvent, plus other stuff not listed, so it is definitely not mineral spirits ....