Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 1969 Chevelle Convertible

Toner283

Although both the hardtop and convertible bodies are still in bags, I can see that the front side marker light has changed both location and shape. On the convertible it is now square-ish while the rear remains rectangular and in the same position as on the hardtop. The location of the front side marker light has moved lower and farther back.

I have compared the chrome tree on several '69,'70''71 and '72 AMT Chevelles and the chrome is the same layout with some different combinations of options.

The side marker lights are probably some leftover vestage of different issues over the years. The big rectangle is the '68 but narrow is what a '69 should have. Seems like my various '69s have different shapes from AMT to Ertl.

You will probabbly have to shave off the side chrome another leftover from the '68. Then you will have to add Evergreen to make '69 wheel lip moldings. This is what I did on a Countdown issue Chevelle. If you plan to convert to a '68, leave the side trim the same.

I have read that the Round2 issue has '68 front glass with vent windows. This is good news if you are converting to a '68.

I hope to see my Round2 Chevelle verts soon. Despite any complaints I hear, I am looking forward to the Chevelle vert.

Bob beat me to it. I think the front side marker is a '68 style. Both bodies have the same lower body molding. The front glass does have the vent sides. I will use the convert for the '68 i am doing and order the proper '69 rear bumper and lights form Modelhaus for the hardtop.

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

So I receive my CHevelle a few days ago, a I compare it to my original version, there's a few differences, first on the front bumper, the turn signal are now molded on the bumper, un unfortunatly the hole are plain, so we must do some "cutting" job to clear them. The famous rear tailights have been improved a bit, and there is the seperate chrome line between the "have to paint" red part, which is still molded too deep anyway. There is a lot of molding line on the body, but nothing too serious.

Concerning the engine, on the original issue, there was no choice for the 396, it could only be built as a "street machine" engine with chrome manifold and injection. On the reissue, they put a few parts for building it stock, with "flat" valve cover, four barrel carburator and manifold and a classic but not accurate air cleaner ( normaly we should have a chrome element if I'm right ).

Hope I'm clear enough on my explanation, I'm sorry I didn't take pics but time is missing as always ;)

While I'm a huge Chevelle fan and I'll probably purchase the kit regardless. I've never really been a big fan of AMT. A lot of times the fit of the kits aren't great and they're missing pieces. I have the hard top version and it didn't come out looking to great. The tail light fit was a little off. I really hate how AMT models rarely have headlight lenses, mirrors, and sometimes even skip on the decals (got a 72 Chevelle and no stripes!). I wish Revell or Lindberg would get on the ball and start making models like this. I hate having to make my own parts by scavaging from models that I junked.

While I'm a huge Chevelle fan and I'll probably purchase the kit regardless. I have the hard top version and it didn't come out looking to great [The RC2-era kits were thin] on the decals (got a 72 Chevelle and no stripes!). I wish Revell [...] would get on the ball and start making models like this.

I , too , would LOVE to see a new tooling of a 1970-1972 Chevelle !

The lack of Super Sport hood / trunk stripes on the 1972 Chevelle SS-454 kit was a source of irritation , without a doubt . Heck , I even utilised the LS-6 arrangement (an artifact of the 1970 version) on my build of the '72 ; I built that one for a friend . Black-onblack ; it was gorgeous !

Other than exterior cosmetic changes between the 1970-1971-1972 Chevelles (in addition to engine changes) , what other items were different ? Upholstery pattern(s) ? Perhaps an "All-Three-Years" option --repleat with period-correct hot rod upgrades-- would be in order !

While I'm a huge Chevelle fan and I'll probably purchase the kit regardless. I've never really been a big fan of AMT. A lot of times the fit of the kits aren't great and they're missing pieces. I have the hard top version and it didn't come out looking to great. The tail light fit was a little off. I really hate how AMT models rarely have headlight lenses, mirrors, and sometimes even skip on the decals (got a 72 Chevelle and no stripes!). I wish Revell or Lindberg would get on the ball and start making models like this. I hate having to make my own parts by scavaging from models that I junked.

It is what it is, a 45 year old annual model. Most annuals of the era (regardless of the company they were from) had molded in headlights.

The Round2 re-issue has interior location posts on the inside of the Chevelle convertible body, where as the 1977 Countdown series has none. Without the posts, the interior is free to move forward a bit. Some have complained that the chassis is too far back to center the wheels with the wheel openings on the Round2 re-issue.

I might suggest shaving off the posts on the inside of the body and see if it helps.

Other than that, I see no differences between the 1977 issue and the 2013 issue.

I , too , would LOVE to see a new tooling of a 1970-1972 Chevelle !

The lack of Super Sport hood / trunk stripes on the 1972 Chevelle SS-454 kit was a source of irritation , without a doubt . Heck , I even utilised the LS-6 arrangement (an artifact of the 1970 version) on my build of the '72 ; I built that one for a friend . Black-onblack ; it was gorgeous !

Other than exterior cosmetic changes between the 1970-1971-1972 Chevelles (in addition to engine changes) , what other items were different ? Upholstery pattern(s) ? Perhaps an "All-Three-Years" option --repleat with period-correct hot rod upgrades-- would be in order !

I think I ended up using stripes from a 70 model kit, but the front end still looks nothing like a 72. It made me a little angry because A I own a 72 and it looked nothing like my car. Plus if you have the stripes shown on the car, it would be nice to see them in the box. I realize they build models the old school way, but it's like a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot buying their models. Some have headlight lenses, some don't. Some have decals, some don't. Some include rear view mirrors, and some don't. Plus the fits of the models are normally off. I'll probably still get the model and try to make my own parts as needed, but if I had my way it would be a Revell model. Their quality is always much better. I hope it looks better than the hard top version did.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a link to a detailed review and commentary on this new kit release from Round 2 AMT. There are several reasons why I think this new issue is preferable to the one previous issue of the '69 convertible kit back in 1978 (both kit issues shown below).

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-lookwhats-new-1/

DSC_0007-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking...TIM

Tim, I was looking forward to a detailed review, but you have that album locked.

Sorry guys...I locked it until I was able to post the text, but then forgot to remove the password when I posted the links. It's fixed now. Enjoy...TIM

I couldn't view this link ^ the model but spent a long time looking at all the other kits you have in your fotki site .

Randy...fixed now...sorry for the confusion but glad you enjoyed the other content...Best Regards...TIM

Thanks for the review Tim! Interesting that the box art on the side shows the convertible with the vent windows-----as you mentioned, those were dropped for the '69 convertibles and hardtops. They were still available on the two and four door post sedans though.

I have the original '78 issue of this kit, but this one is so much nicer, I think I'll be spending some more money soon! ;)

Curtis it's hard to tell, but to my sight it looks the chrome trim is gone. It's an easy addition however.

Thanks for the review Tim! Interesting that the box art on the side shows the convertible with the vent windows-----as you mentioned, those were dropped for the '69 convertibles and hardtops.

Bill...thanks...I didn't notice that....but I just figured out...the side panel art in light blue with the vent windows is a direct lift from the "stock version" end panel of the '78 Countdown issue box art. I just noticed that the '68 blackout lower treatment is in this illustration as well.

Seems we (or at least I) wasn't as sharp about catching these discrepancies back in the day. Thanks for pointing that out....TIM