Model Cars Magazine Forum

70-72 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay and old kit vendors websites- you see the JoHan '70 fastback hardtop pop up every so often, and the prices on them usually aren't too bad.

I think it's a foregone conclusion Revell will do a hardtop '72 Cutlass kit at some point in the future- that's about the only reason I can think that no resin caster has taken up the task of casting such an animal. In the meantime, as was mentioned, you can make your own by grafting on a roof from an AMT '70 Monte Carlo, or, if you want the 'fastback' roof, an MPC/AMT '69 or a JoHan '70.

if you want the far better looking of the two hardtops, the 'fastback' roof, use an MPC/AMT '69 or a JoHan '70.

Fixed it for ya. ;):lol:

It is a bit surprising neither the notchback nor fastback hardtop bodies are yet available in resin. :huh:

Edited by Casey

Fixed it for ya. ;):lol:

It is a bit surprising neither the notchback nor fastback hardtop bodies are yet available in resin. Well, I can fully understand why that repugnant hatchback....er...fastback thing hasn't been done yet. It just looks awful next to that classy formal roof line.

FIXED!!!!

:P:lol:

Same here! :lol:

icon_rant.gif Foiled again. :lol:

I'm assuming the existing convertible, the fastback, and a formal hardtop would all require different interior platforms, or at least different package trays for the two hardtops. I can't find images of the 'vert platform on the forum anymore (Len's review no linger contians images and I don't see the Kit Reviews images on the main page anymore?), but I'm guessing it has a proper convertible rear seat area, which would nees to be changed for a hardtop.

Different side panels and rear seat, from the looks of things. Even so, I don't think it would be much effort/expense on Revell's part to kit the hardtop, no matter which version.

Check me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the '72 Cutlass Supreme HT a physically longer wheelbase car than the regular Cutlass fastback?

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Here's the Cutlass hardtop, convertible, and fastback. Looks like the quarters are pretty darn close (if not the same) for the hardtop and convertible.

72cutlass.jpg

And here's a comparison of the 72 Cutlass with the 70-72 Monte Carlo.

cutlassmontecarlo.jpg

The roofline is very close, differing only in slope and then only a slight amount. The quarter windows are also different shapes, but when using the Monte Carlo roof on the Cutlass body you'll get that shape. When I get a hold of a Monte Carlo I'll start cutting and maybe do a writeup. :)

Thank you for your kind comments. It was not an easy conversion, but I think it came out pretty good. I may do another one, but as a standard Cutlass Supreme, with a full vinyl roof, whitewalls, 350, and a split bench seat. I am also going to do a '71 or '72 442, or Cutlass S Holiday Coupe, as I have a Louvered Hood (from an old promo).

Edited by Ron Hamilton

:rolleyes: Hi Guys. You can get The louvered hood that he talks about at modelhaus I got one because I to am looking to do a hard top.The hood is just a bit short on the sides but a small pice of plastic stripping from evergreen will fix it right up it,s a nice hood with the imprint on the underside.I is realy for the old Johan kits to make them a 71 or 72 they also have the chrome.I was going to do the roof thing but if Missing link is doing it I will wate for them I have got a lot of there kits and they are A-1.Rick.

Yeah, I was so happy that they had a Cutlass (my fav muscle car of all time) and then wham, I pick it up and see its a 'vert. So needless to say I don't have it yet. I think it would have been a better seller as a W30 442 HT. I guess I like the fastback though. But if they did the formal roof it would be a little easier to convert.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

Then again I didn't think of it you could bash a 70 Chevelle body because the Chevelle, GTO and Cutlass have the same main body for the most part. So in sequence GTO, Cutlass, and Chevelle. So maybe on that behalf cross a chevellr body with a back halved monte roof? From the doors back? Maybe like my poor photoshop.

post-6455-0-12346800-1330059106_thumb.jp

post-6455-0-61086100-1330059114_thumb.jp

post-6455-0-43659100-1330059122_thumb.jp

post-6455-0-50176000-1330059873_thumb.jp

post-6455-0-29157100-1330059903_thumb.jp

Edited by ARTEMIS1759