Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Peterbilt 359 Large Car

Great build and paint sure that was painstaking to do, I can't wait to see the finished product.....even if it takes another 3 years. Skills WAY beyond mind.

Thanks Richard,

It doesn't help when your local hobby shop doesn't carry masking tape under 1mm. I had to cut my own tape.

Alot of masking and a few nice words now and then.

The cab and sleeper are all done now too and will post some pictures very soon.

Ken :blink:

You know, Kenny.....I think that just might work.....Depending on the material, I think you may be able to score the straight lines with a utility knife.....Cutting the wheel wells will require a mandrel or something......Even then, it's going to be some work....3mm thick, huh? Maybe a sign company could help you out.....The hamster and wheel in my head are working overtime, right now....Glass company sounds good, too....

You know, Kenny.....I think that just might work.....Depending on the material, I think you may be able to score the straight lines with a utility knife.....Cutting the wheel wells will require a mandrel or something......Even then, it's going to be some work....3mm thick, huh? Maybe a sign company could help you out.....The hamster and wheel in my head are working overtime, right now....Glass company sounds good, too....

JT, That's about what I was thinking. I don't have any room for errors so I can't practice cutting it.

The mirror side is like metal. Thanks for your input JT.

Ken. :blink:

Well, I was so happy with the strips all done and a couple of small touch ups corrected I figured that it was time for the clearcoat. I've got everything all ready to clear and put down a few thin coats over the strips so they won't bleed into the other colours. I let it dry for a few minutes and hit the cab and the hood with a nice good coat of clear. It went on nicely no dust marks, and was really excited and set them both aside in a dust free cabnet to dry. Now you know that this is to good to be true, right!! Well I let them both dry for about an hour or so and pulled them out to take a look. Well let me tell you excitement went down the drain very quickly. Stop the world I want off!!!!

For some unknown reason maybe the planets weren't aligned right or something they both changed colours.

My beautiful dark cherry burgandy that I was so proud of has changed colour after putting on the clear.

Are you ready for this one????

They turned BROWN !!!!!!

Well I don't think my eyes are fooling me, and I really didn't have a plan "B".

So I took some pictures so everyone can share in the excitement I am enjoying so much right now.

DSCN4129.thumb.JPG.92f38a38b53d11edcedd749528dea416.JPG

DSCN4121.thumb.JPG.14f3165b0829a3d3e4a6439fc6f5b8b5.JPGDSCN4144.thumb.JPG.fc6da51e5fd0881cc81e367bfad6740a.JPG

The surface dust on them now is after they were dry.

Soooo...... Any ideas now???

Ken. :angry::blink::(:o

Edited by Kenny B

WOW. That really isn't nice of it to do that to ya. It still looks great, but I hear ya about it not being your vision.

That is really wierd! I wonder why the paint reacted that way???

Be Well

Gator

That is really wierd! I wonder why the paint reacted that way???

Be Well

Gator

Clayton, Gator.

I'm at a loss myself. All the paint including the clear is all Tamiya acrylic products. I even used Tamiya acrylic thinner to thin them down to use in my airbrush. Same method I have always done. I was going to use future floor wax but decided to keep it all the same product.

I could see if I had used future and it turned brown then it would be because of the future, one would think.

Don't know.

Ken. :huh:

I feel for ya Kenny A LOT of work to turn out in an unwanted way. Wish someone had an idea what happened. My wife has been watching your build as well, thought was gonna have to some CPR when she saw what happened!! Hope you dont have to strip the whole truck to get your desired look.

Good luck

Rich

I feel for ya Kenny A LOT of work to turn out in an unwanted way. Wish someone had an idea what happened. My wife has been watching your build as well, thought was gonna have to some CPR when she saw what happened!! Hope you dont have to strip the whole truck to get your desired look.

Good luck

Rich

Rich & Wife,

Thanks to both of you for following my build. It has taken me three years to get where I am now. Now that I have had a good night sleep I think what I am going to do is spray the sleeper the same way so it turns brown as well. I'll let the clear cure for about a week or so and I think that I will try to lightly wet sand everything with 4000 grit. The clear went on so nice that there is no orange peel to deal with. I'm going to then try to go over everything with Tamiya clear red and see if that will bring it back. I guess that will be my plan "B".

Failing that I don't know what I'll do. It WILL NOT remain brown anyways. I HATE BROWN!!!!

Thanks again for you concern. Stay tuned.

Ken. :unsure:

Man I just cannot believe Tamiya red and clear makes Hersheys brown. I'm pulling for ya, that the red clear works.

Clayton,

I mixed up my own colours to make the dark cherry burgandy. I took Tamiya red added x amount of Tamiya blue and x amount of Tamiya black. Once that dried I sparyed Tamiya clear with a few drops of blue mixed in and had a real super nice colour. Between each coat it was left to dry for weeks if not longer and then painted the strips. They were lightly wet sanded between each coat to remove any dust particles.The final coat was only Tamiya clear.

Sooo...I'm stumped.

Ken. :unsure::blink:

Edited by Kenny B

For all those following my post here is the same formula of paint I used when I painted my Chevelle years ago. I copied the formula exactly to the drop.

And you see that it never turned brown.

Ken. :huh:

Edited by Kenny B

Ken, I'm sorry to hear about the browning. I happened to ask my mother about it, she majored in commercial design at the University of Michigan, has been a seamstress, elementary art teacher, private art teacher and award winning member of the El Cerrito Art Association. Her thoughts are 1) your paints/clear coat ingredients have been changed i.e. "New and Improved formula" or 2) your clear coat is slightly yellow, even if it says clear. So it come down to color math : Red + blue = a shade of purple + black for tone = a darker shade of purple (dark cherry burgundy) But you know this part. So the math problem becomes purple + X = (UPS) brown. The only way to solve for X on the color wheel is to add yellow to your dark cherry burgundy. (red+ blue+ yellow= brown) After telling me about this she showed me with paint and an old clear coat can she had, as if the son of an art teacher had not seen this process 1000 time before. The outcome was similar to yours. She did want me to tell you that this is a s***y problem that could frustrate even the most accomplished artist, She also thought y'all might be interested in a book entitled Color Harmony A Guide to Creative Color Combinations By Hideaki Chijiiwa Professor, Musashino College of Art.

I do understand that this won't fix anything, just hope it answers why or how this could happen.

post-15542-0-18144300-1433009035_thumb.j

post-15542-0-84832200-1433009076_thumb.j

Jonathan, I really appreciate the input and do understand what your mom is saying. The clear coat is only a couple of months old and is clear as clear can be. I purchsed 6 jars all at the same time.The hobby shop had just brought in more. I had cleaned them out on my visit before. It is very upsetting to have put so much time and money into this truck for something like this to ruin it.

I do have my own colour wheel and do understand mixing colours as I have been doing this for many many years. Thanks for the info on the Color Harmony book I will check it out for sure. More input even at my age is always a good thing. Many thanks again to you and your mom. I have also sent off an email to Tamiya to see if they can explain what has happened. I will keep everyone posted as to the outcome.

Ken. :)

Edited by Kenny B

Ken, I didn't mean to imply that your clear coat was old, (that is just what I had on hand) or that an accomplished modeler such as your self wouldn't have a color wheel. I just thought that the math added up to funky clear (Not of your doing) and to know that this is a feared problem by many i.e. --Do you remember that time I ended up with brown not cherry burgundy. You've done the correct thing in emailing Tamiya. Hope they do the correct thing.

Its nice to see that you have a vision and are sticking to it. I know some might say-- look the truck wants to be brown… oh well--- Might be a California mind set.

Again sorry about the tragedy, but thank you for sharing. Also had a great talk with my Mother so thanks for that.

Jonathan

Ken, I didn't mean to imply that your clear coat was old, (that is just what I had on hand) or that an accomplished modeler such as your self wouldn't have a color wheel. I just thought that the math added up to funky clear (Not of your doing) and to know that this is a feared problem by many i.e. --Do you remember that time I ended up with brown not cherry burgundy. You've done the correct thing in emailing Tamiya. Hope they do the correct thing.

Its nice to see that you have a vision and are sticking to it. I know some might say-- look the truck wants to be brown oh well--- Might be a California mind set.

Again sorry about the tragedy, but thank you for sharing. Also had a great talk with my Mother so thanks for that.

Jonathan

Even when I was in California it would have really upset me aswell. Work is work no 2 ways about that.

Ok so maybe its a hippie Humboldt county CA thing. I apologize Richard meant nothing by the CA comment. Your right "work is work", I was not trying to make light of a situation, only commending Ken on having a plan and sticking to it and add a smile to what sounds like a rough day.

Its nice to see that you have a vision and are sticking to it. I know some might say-- look the truck wants to be brown… oh well--- Might be a California mind set.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Now, I don't know why you are apologizing. I didn't take it the wrong way at all. I was simply telling you all the steps that I had done.

No need to apologize for the trouble you went through to help me out. I very, very much appreciate your input and had to tell my wife about what you had said. I told her there was someone out there that actually cared enough to help me try to figure this out.

Many, many thanks to you my friend. Life is not over, It will be corrected no matter what.

As far as California goes, They have wierd laws down there when it comes to driving a truck.

Just proud to be a Canadian.

Ken. :P:wub:B)

Edited by Kenny B