Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Star Olympic Class ships- Post 'em if you've got 'em.

Looks great! I see you used the PE railings (does the kit give you the option to use either plastic railings or PE ones? I'll have to check the box, I seem to remember that it gives you the choice).

Thanks, Harry!

I believe the plastic railings are still in the updated kit but they look pretty cheesy when compared to the PE offerings. This was the first ship that I used PE detail on and I built her box stock so everything you see in the pics came from the updated kit.

• 3 weeks later...

If you really want to see a Titanic scale model, there are at least two replicas in the planning that will be close to 3/4 scale, perhaps larger, for passenger cruising. One is being built by the owners of the Titanic museums in Pigeon Forge near me, and in Branson, Mo.

Another one is scheduled to launch in 2016:

http://www.wtsp.com/...Titanic-replica

As you can see, the Titanic Museum just includes a replica of the front half; it does include a full-scale (supposedly) Grand Staircase.

titanic-pigeon-forge.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Didn't some guy just announce he was going to build a full scale replica and recreate the trip across the Atlantic. Not quite sure I understand why ??? How many more ocean liners do we need?

Never mind, just noticed Skips link.

Edited by moparmagiclives

Didn't some guy just announce he was going to build a full scale replica and recreate the trip across the Atlantic. Not quite sure I understand why ??? How many more ocean liners do we need?

Never mind, just noticed Skips link.

Theres only a handful of real liners left..Cruise ships dont count.

I am member of the Titanic-titanic.com forum. Have been since 1210, tho I rarely go there anymore. (What else is there to discuss?) But what IS interesting is the modelers who show up from time to time and show off their work. There is even one builder who has built a very detailed rear section of the ship as it now sits on the bottom. Now THAT was mind blowing considering all the destruction that went on during the sinking and implosion that took place.

Near as I can remember the only outward differences between Olympic and Titanic were the totally open promenade on the Olympic vs the partially closed deck on the Titanic. The Britannic also had a large structure constructed on the Aft "poop" deck once the ship was converted to a hospital duties during the First world war. And of course the aforementioned "derrick" style lifeboat davits.

I'm also without courage to start my Academy Minicraft Titanic. I have the Revell 1/570 kit that came with an 1/1200 kit also included in the box. This one is also unbuilt. Back in 1994, or so, I built one 1/570 Revell kit, and remember having trouble with the fit of some parts, the two halves of the main hull in special. Anyway, I bought a second Revell to modify and build like a Olympic replica, but the Olympic from before April of 1912, with the standard amount of lifeboats, because after the Titanic, the Old Faithful was given a bunch of lifeboats more, just like they did to the Brittanic.

This is my old build Titanic:

Titanic005.jpg

Titanic007.jpg

Titanic006.jpg

Titanic008.jpg

Titanic009.jpg

Titanic014.jpg