Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Ford F350 pickups

mk11

The Stones truck is the first and only issue with the 4wd parts. The boonie boss and the matchbox/lesney ranger(same kit) are 2 wheel drives and have the same wheels and tires as the Stones truck but have their own unique rollbar, driving lights and special exhaust.

Here's a pic of the BB/Ranger parts layout...

P6213886 zps575a6c6b

mike

Edited by mk11

Just noticed the Round 2 website has a new description of this one...

AMT reintroduces the Firestone "Super Stones" 1978 Ford 4x4 Pickup. Tooling modifications have been made to backdate the kit and improve accuracy. Improvements include the re-engraving of door key holes, front fender reflectors and retooling of the correct front bumper.

Just noticed the Round 2 website has a new description of this one...

AMT reintroduces the Firestone "Super Stones" 1978 Ford 4x4 Pickup. Tooling modifications have been made to backdate the kit and improve accuracy. Improvements include the re-engraving of door key holes, front fender reflectors and retooling of the correct front bumper.

I guess it's too much to hope they'll change it over to a regular long wheel base? Maybe we should flood them with emails and see what happens?

I guess it's too much to hope they'll change it over to a regular long wheel base? Maybe we should flood them with emails and see what happens?

If they don't first correct the leading edge of the roof over the windshield, why bother fixing anything on this kit/tooling?

Windshield engraving issue non-withstanding, I'd just as soon not have to pay nearly $100.00 for this model kit rather than worry about it not being a "popular" wheelbase/option package. That's sort of the story with pick-up kits for the past several decades...just sit there and puzzle why they chose the option packages they did. No one, and I mean no one ever decided tossing a 4x4 suspension underneath any Chevy, Dodge or Ford truck was a good idea except Lindberg?

No one, and I mean no one ever decided tossing a 4x4 suspension underneath any Chevy, Dodge or Ford truck was a good idea except Lindberg?

That one little detail did, does, and forever will continue to baffle me. When the kit manufacturers were doing full-detail kits of current trucks, only that Lindberg F-150 was kitted as a four-by. Four-bys were relegated to snap kit or promo status.nd what's the one thing everybody asked? "Why did they do it as a two-wheel drive?" I know quite a few people who would have bought multiples of the Revell '99 Chevy Silverado 1500 if only it had been a 4x4 model. It stands to reason- what, 70% of modern pickups are four-wheel-drive, meaning a lot more people want them than two- wheelers, and that way of thinking seems to carry over into scale models, and yet the kit manufacturers ignored what would seem to be the bigger slice of the pie. I'd say (going by my own feelings and that of other modelers I know) the availability of a four-wheel-drive version would override trim level/option packages represented in the kit the vast majority of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

If they don't first correct the leading edge of the roof over the windshield, why bother fixing anything on this kit/tooling?

Agreed here's a photo of what I needed to do to the cab...

MVC002F-vi.jpg

As mentioned, the windshield is way too low. The top of that molding should be parallel to the drip rail. Note that the drip rail was also poorly molded, much too faint. I replaced it here with Evergreen rod. I didn't fix the windshield on this one because it was the box art truck for the Model King release, so I felt it should represent what was in the box.

a8_3-vi.jpg

And here's a reference shot of a 1:1 to show the relationship of that windshield to the side drip rail molding. It's not a hard thing to fix, just carve the windshield opening upward, then scribe the molding line at the proper height. And yes it would be nice if they fixed it on the tool!

Also, note that the Firestone release had a Firestone logo in the center of the bed cover. This was still on the test shot that I built the model from, but I was instructed to sand it off since it wouldn't be on the Model King release. It would be interesting to see if they re-engrave it back there again.

One of the things I plan on doing with this kit, is to convert it back to standard bed length and use the step side bed from the AMT '53 Ford pickup. It's nearly right.

Edited by Tom Geiger

If they've done nothing to address the incorrect spacing/balance on the cowl nameplates a guy might as well sand them off...

as has been mentioned, they're pretty much gone under the first coat of primer anyways :unsure:

mike

Edited by mk11

• 2 weeks later...

My LHS has this listed on his "coming soon" page with a price of $35.25 CDN. Something in the little blurb caught my attention:

"Tooling modifications have been made to backdate the kit and improve accuracy. Improvements include the re-engraving of door key holes, front fender reflectors and retooling of the correct front bumper."

:huh:

There is an eBay seller, teddyb2336, used to have one up for sale. He also has the 88-98 Chevy promo cap and the Revell Datsun cap.

EDIT: Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-pickup-cap-topper-for-older-8-ft-version-trucks-Ford-Dodge-Chevy-1-24-1-25-/321322070839?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4ad049b337

Although I can't say I'm a big fan of him claiming to "pursue legal action" if someone makes a copy. He copied the original items from the manufacturer; if someone else does the same, can he "pursue legal action"? :rolleyes:

Edited by kataranga

Although I can't say I'm a big fan of him claiming to "pursue legal action" if someone makes a copy. He copied the original items from the manufacturer; if someone else does the same, can he "pursue legal action"? :rolleyes:

His tone sounds like he had a problem with someone claiming he copied their work. And as far as 'legal action', yea right! Too expensive to do an interstate chase on someone over a few resin copies.