Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some simple computer renderings

DR Dubois

Actually, it is my first attempt, with colour. I'm still pretty new to this computer art thing but have been a commercial illustrator for over 25 years. I've generated a few black and white vector art files of vehicles in line drawing form but never full colour. Hopefully I'll be able to do some more as I continue to learn the ins and outs of this computer!

Edited by DR Dubois

Never hooked me Harry, I prefer a "hands on" approach. For me there is nothing like masking, spraying and inking with a little pencil tossed in! :lol:

I hear you... there's definitely something to be said for the "hands on" approach. That's how I did it for many years, and to be honest, I didn't like the switch to computer illustration at first; it seemed very strange and awkward to me after so many years of airbrush, Rapidograph pens, markers and Crescent board! I missed the tactile experience of actually laying down color on board by hand.

But now that I have "mastered" Photoshop, more or less, I have to say it's been a real treat. I do miss the old ways sometimes, but I have never gone back. Probably never will, I guess. In my case I had to make the switch to digital because that's where the industry went (brochures, catalogs, magazine ads, etc.)... it was adapt or die. And in the process of going from "manual" to "digital" I learned how to create illustrations in Photoshop (and Illustrator), and I liked it! Now I draw with a mouse! Go figure... :huh:

I too have taken up using the computer more because of the advancement of technology in the print & design business, but still love the feel, smell and texture of painting. Only in the last couple of years have I begun to experiment with computer illustration and can only hope that one day I'll get as good as guys like you! Still learning all the filters and effects but it is fun, and if you make a mistake, it's a SIMPLE fix.

Thanx for the comments everyone. And Merry Christmas!