Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some wheel&tire questions... *New question added*

I have two questions about wheels, any help would be very appreciated.

1. Does anyone make photo etch wire wheels in 1/25 scale? And if someone makes them, who, and where I can buy them?

2. I need this kind of Truck steelie wheels... Have you ever seen anything like this in some kit, I'm trying to build same styled truck, as this Finnish buildup. (a picture below.)

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

And an other picture:http://kuvia.1g.fi/k....5/MOP_6845.jpg

Edited by W-409

Niko, I can't help you on the truck wheels, but on the PE wheels-------Detail Master did make a very nice set of Borrani wire wheels.

If you click here it will take you to a site that carries them. Unfortunately, they are out of stock at the moment............but I would bookmark the site, and keep checking as they're still in production.

BTW, here is a pic of those very wheels on a Cougar II build I did a couple years ago..............

P9063186-vi.jpg

P9063189-vi.jpg

They're some other companies that make PE wheels, but they can be hard to get and/or expensive. If you check hlj.com, they have a whole list of PE wheels to choose from. Once again, a lot of them are backordered, or simply out of stock. B)

Hope this helps!

And one more question. I need also wire wheels for a Dragster. Does anybody make them? I need also those normal wire wheels, must get them someday. So does anyone make something like this, or do I have to use those ones, which came with the kit?

mopp_1001_02_+mopar_superchargers+front_engine+dragster.jpg

Thank you, Mark for the info and picture! I think, that I must get that set soon, right as I get the money. Those are looking nice and they'll fit nicely to Ramchargers Front Engine Dragster.

And other thing, I've found correct (or close enough) wheels for that truck, I must get them too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've found correct wheels to the truck, but they are only to the four rear tires. I'm using the Slicks from Revell Pro Sportsman kits, but I need still two of those slicks. Front wheels are bit more tricky, must find some good ones, or I've been thinking of scratchbuilding them, maybe?

Yes, the truck is '59 Chevrolet Viking. I'm not making an exact replica, just same styled, and I'm using '57 Chevrolet Cameo cab as a basis, of course it's a gluebomb... But I might scratchbuild those wheels, if I can. And here is a picture about the same truck, as in those first pics, but here it is in USA, in somekind of junkyard.

2861045130062539615S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, I've found correct wheels to the truck, but they are only to the four rear tires. I'm using the Slicks from Revell Pro Sportsman kits, but I need still two of those slicks. Front wheels are bit more tricky, must find some good ones, or I've been thinking of scratchbuilding them, maybe?

Niko, as far as those slicks go, any of the Revell Dragster,Funny Car or the Street Burners '57/'55 Chevy's will work, they're all the same.

Yes, the truck is '59 Chevrolet Viking. I'm not making an exact replica, just same styled, and I'm using '57 Chevrolet Cameo cab as a basis, of course it's a gluebomb... But I might scratchbuild those wheels, if I can. And here is a picture about the same truck, as in those first pics, but here it is in USA, in somekind of junkyard.

2861045130062539615S600x600Q85.jpg

Not trying to nitpick or anything, but that truck is a '58, rather than a '59. '59s have a different hood emblem, and the side badging is shaped like a rocket rather than a jet. Otherwise, both year trucks are the same.

Bill - what scale is that Cougar? A while back, I got a set of those wires for my 1/25 Maserati 3500, and they turned out to be unusably large. They had larger rear wheels with a deeper dish and appear to have been meant for a 250 GTO.

Edited by sjordan2

• 5 months later...

Ok, I have new question, please answer if you know anything.

I need to find Slicks for my Peterbilt build. Where could I find slicks, which are at least as high as those original truck tires? Maybe some larger scale model kit has them. I will look, how large those truck tires are, and post that information here soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill - what scale is that Cougar? A while back, I got a set of those wires for my 1/25 Maserati 3500, and they turned out to be unusably large. They had larger rear wheels with a deeper dish and appear to have been meant for a 250 GTO.

Whoops! Sorry I'm just now noticing your question Skip! :blink: The Cougar is 1:25-----I thought that the wheels may be a scooch oversized for the car, but they were much better than the kit wheels and tires so I went with 'em.

I have that Maserati kit as well, and remember test fitting those wheels to it..............I didn't think they looked too bad. Once again they're much better than what that old/reissued kit gives you.

Niko, I'm no expert on trucks or truck tires, but is what I have pictured below what you're looking for?

MhausWheels1-vi.jpg

Those are from John Sharisky's Fotki site............if you click here, it will take you to his entire Fotki page as he has some other things related to what you might need as well.

Hope this helps!

Where could I find slicks, which are at least as high as those original truck tires? Maybe some larger scale model kit has them. I will look, how large those truck tires are, and post that information here soon....

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the slicks from a 1/20 scale Formula 1 kit might be close?