Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crinckel painted hemi valve covers

Brush some liquid styrene cement on them and let dry. That will texture them slightly. Then paint with semi flat black to match OE Hemi covers. Try on a test piece of sprue if you're unsure. Works on dashboards too. B)

Here's how Alex Kustov did it on a Ferrari 275 GTB, which is close to what Cato and Jairus suggested:

"Cam covers were cleaned, fitted with photo etched Ferrari scripts, primed...and painted with flat black from the distance to simulate "crackle black" finish of the real cam covers."

http://www.italianhorses.net/Gallery/Resin/Hiro275GTB/275GTBC.htm

275GTBcamcovers.jpg

I'd practice on a plastic spoon first. From what I've seen and tried, the important part is the distance of the paint from the subject.

Edited by sjordan2

• 1 year later...

Dave, I'm sure you're already done with the Hemi you wanted to do this on, but just in case someone else wants to try this, I figured I'd chime in.

I used the actual Crinkle Black paint for full-size cars, it's not the easiest to do, but it can work. It's not as convincing as what Alex did, but I think it looks better than a flat black with no texture. Here's a pair of pics of the results I got, it took three tries to get it right, but it did finally work!

99EclipseBB0201-vi.jpg

P1120065-vi.jpg

Guest G Holding

Here's how Alex Kustov did it on a Ferrari 275 GTB, which is close to what Cato and Jairus suggested:

"Cam covers were cleaned, fitted with photo etched Ferrari scripts, primed...and painted with flat black from the distance to simulate "crackle black" finish of the real cam covers."

http://www.italianhorses.net/Gallery/Resin/Hiro275GTB/275GTBC.htm

275GTBcamcovers.jpg

I'd practice on a plastic spoon first. From what I've seen and tried, the important part is the distance of the paint from the subject.

For years I have worked hard not to do this ! :unsure::D

C'mon G get up close, not over there :rolleyes::rolleyes:^_^

Edited by G Holding

I thinks it's rustoleum that has a spray called textured black in both a real fine and another one with ever so slightly more texture.

I've got some I use to replicate the suede finish on Mopar interior parts

It would pass for the ferrairi valve covers shown

Edited by gtx6970