Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some A12 related questions

Hey folks

I'm currently building a bone stock '69 1/2 Roadrunner and while having a good amount of reference pics, there are still some details I'm not sure about.

Right now I'm wondering about what exhaust tips to use on my build. Can I use the tips from AMT's '69 GTX or were the A12 cars fitted with different parts? Did they have exhaust tips at all?

I'd like to go as detailed and accurate as possible. But being from Germany I'm not too familiar with them Detroit Irons. Any advice is much appreciated. I'm interested in everything. Input to the exhaust tips or other stuff that is important but often overlooked. And if you have a cool story about your personal experience with one of these cars, feel free to share these stories aswell.

Cheers

PS:

More questions as the build progresses.

69 GTX and Road Runner exhaust tips are the same and you could use them. A12 cars did have tips unless California car, then no tips and a standard down turned exhaust used. Most A12 cars are very basic, bench seat, no vinyl top, but you could get them with the same options as regular Road Runners with the exception of air conditioning. Rear end would be the Dana style rear end as part of the A12 package. Usually plain steel wheels no hubcaps.

Thanks guys.

The Dana and the naked steelies are already onboard as I am using Revell's '68 Charger as a parts donor for chassis and engine compartment. Engine is from AMT's '69 GTX. Torque boxes, frame connectors, bench seat, a column shifted 3-speed automatic and other stuff is already on my list.

How about having no power brakes while having front disc brakes? Was that configuration available back then?

Edited by Stuntman Mike

How about having no power brakes while having front disc brakes? Was that configuration available back then?

Power-assist brakes were optional , but rarely ordered ; I have seen only one such example .

These cars were only available with drum brakes ; disc brakes were not an option . This applies only to these "A12" Super Bee / Road Runner cars .

Thanks John, that´s good to know. Some work to do since the donor kit has disc brakes, of course... <_<;)

What kit are you starting with ; the ol' Monogram 1969 Super Bee ? That kit is "wrong" in a few areas :

1.) Magnum 500 wheels . All "A12" Bees and R.R.'s had unique-to-them 15"x6" C-Body police car wheels , painted high-gloss black , and with chromed lug nuts .

2.) Power disc brakes . You have already figured this one out :D

3.) Plymouth emblem on the rear seat (?!) . For whatever reason , this obvious gaffe eluded me until someone else pointed it out to me :P .

It has been at least 20 years since I have even seen the contents of that ol' Monogram Super Bee ! Last one I bought was on sale for $1.00 at Kay Bee Toys ; the original version moulded in blue metallic !

Please keep us posted with your progress and keep those questions coming :)

@John and Casey:

I´m using a Jo-Han Roadrunner body for this build. The Charger was chosen as parts donor because it has the most details underneath and it includes some other small pieces to help make the result more accurate. The interior will probably be built from scratch. Here´s some pics:

6132326663323635.jpg

3739316232366366.jpg

3765613832373331.jpg

A12 cars were avail with power brakes but it's power drum brakes only. Actually the avail options list was pretty short.

All were black steel wheels with G7015 goodyear redlines only.

Avail both 2 door hardtop and sedan.

All were 4-10 Dana rear axles - regardless is manual or auto

I am pretty sure chrome exhaust tips were standard except on California bound cars

Wheel lip mouldings were not avail, and I don't think rocker mldgs were avail.

Missing link has a bench seat interior for this car, will be watching this build as I have 1 on the bench also.

Agreed, and it replicates a baseline interior like most of the A12 cars used. You get ft and rear seat and door panels.... .It fits the AMT 68 roadrunner - 69 GTX floorpan perfectly

I have one for a future A12 car build myself. and could snap off a detail picture if needed. (actually have 2 A12 car builds planned)

But, I'll for warn you. The interior pieces could easily pass for stryene , that are that nice.

Hood looks pretty good so far. Is that the Johan hood modified ? , Landy charger scoop modified ?

AFX-N-Scale makes the hood and it is really nice

Edited by gtx6970

Hey guys

As the steel-wheels are often mentioned, here´s what I´ve planned to use. Tires from an old Pro-Modeler Charger and steelies from the current ´68 Charger.

3238663935353135.jpg

@Bill:

Yes, it´s a modified hood from the Jo-Han kit. And the scoop is indeed the one that is known from the Landy kit. It was cut into pieces, resized and glued back together. And finally some sheet to get it all into shape. Still need to add some putty to the top side and then rebuild the characteristic fiberglass-structures on the underside to finish it off.

I am aware of the various A12 parts that are available from different resin casters. Due to a limited budget, there won´t be any additional aftermarket parts on this build. I´ll only use what I have on hand, which is just some PE detailing stuff for the engine compartment and lots of sheet.

I´d still appreciate some close-up pics of the resin bench seats, though. :rolleyes:

Keith marks makes the decals as well the hardest part to find is the hood decal as it is different than the dodge.

Yes, Keith Marks is where I wanted to order my decals from. Has anyone used these decals on his A-12 build? I´m wondering if the decals´ colors will cover on the black hood.

The wheels are resin copies i picked up off ebay. The only thing johan is the body. I used the gtx for everything else the tires are satco redlines i stashed. The hood is aftermarket resin piece. Good luck on your project. Just a tip the replacement parts for the 69 roadrunner from the Modelhaus are repops of the johan pieces. Which i used to replace the grill and bumpers on mine.

Edited by azers