Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID Quiz #4.5 FINISHED!

Rules:

DO NOT post your answer here! Obviously, if you do, that pretty much ruins it for anyone else who wants to play.

I need the model year, make and model name (all 3) in order for you to get credit for being right.

Send your answer to me via PM or email me at harrypri@att.net. Make sure you give me your screen name so I can give you credit if your answer is correct.

autoid5.jpg

The answer: 1930 Ruxton Model C

Not many got this one... it's a 1930 Ruxton Model C.

There were two front-wheel drive cars that came onto the scene just prior to the onset of the Great Depression, the Cord L-29 and the Ruxton. Ruxton's front-wheel drive campaign was short-lived and less remembered. Despite its technological excellence and ingenuity, the company struggled to find its financial footing. The final Ruxton automobiles were built in 1931.

Unusual horizontally-striped paint schemes were used to accentuate the long, lower silhouette of the body profile. Disc wheels were by Budd, and fabrics by famed designer Schumacher were featured for the interiors. The company slogan was, "A car so low you can look over it. A car so smart you can't overlook it." This example, one of only about 200 Ruxtons actually built before internal strife and the Depression killed the company in 1931, features the trademark Woodlite headlights and sidelights. The car was named after a New York investor who never actually invested any money in the company, and who later went to court to prove that he had not.

Ruxton's featured a unique transmission setup which allowed the car to sit ten inches lower than other cars of its time.

This 1930 Ruxton Sedan is in the ownership of the Nethercutt Collection. It was shown at the 2006 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it won 'First in Class' and 'Best American Classic'. It is finished in horizontal bands of maroon and cream, designed by Joseph Urban. The fabric was designed by Schumacher of New York. The coachwork was by Edward G. Budd Mfg. Co., Coachbuilders, of Philadelphia, PA.

This 1930 Ruxton Sedan is powered by an eight-cylinder L-head engine capable of producing 100 hp. The original price was $3,195.

Who got it right:

Mr. Moto

chillyb1

Thom

modelmartin (sort of... ;))

Who got it right:

modelmartin (sort of... :lol:)

But I got the location right! :D

When only 200 cars were built that did not vary according to year because very likely they were all manufactured in 1929 and only sold in 1930 and 1931, you can't be too fussy!

You asterisked me, Man!!! B) It's all in good humor. :huh::lol:

I was just reading about Bill Harrah and his insistence that the model and body style be named EXACTLY the same way that the manufacturer listed it on all the placards in front of the cars in his museum. You could have endless variations such as four door, four-door, fordor, etc. With over 1000 cars on display the placard engraver was kept busy.

You asterisked me, Man!!! ;) It's all in good humor. :lol: :lol:

I was just reading about Bill Harrah and his insistence that the model and body style be named EXACTLY the same way that the manufacturer listed it on all the placards in front of the cars in his museum. You could have endless variations such as four door, four-door, fordor, etc. With over 1000 cars on display the placard engraver was kept busy.

You're like the kid who pitched the perfect game the other day. Asterisked! :lol:

It's a really cool car, whether it's a '29 or '30 (My reference said 1930, so that's what I went with). For all I know you may be right, and all three model years were actually identical. Who knows? Either way, I like it... especially love those headlights! :D