Model Cars Magazine Forum

Topless Terror v2.0

Once upon a time, there was a model I built in this topic http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50592&hl=%2Btopless+%2Bterror.

Unfortunately, I did a poor job of covering the roof cavity plus displaying it near a window. In the Sun. In Las Vegas. The body warped and the paint cracked and Joe was a very sad boy. Then one day I bought a set of Flying Dutchman decals from SMBC.

Next, I hacked the roof off of a Chi-Town Hustler body and commenced to whittlin' and a whoopin' on it. This time I covered the body from stem to stern with thicker plastic.

Frame wise, I narrowed the roll cage and replaced the headers. The car I'm liberally duplicating had a white roof and headers. The green air scoop in the first pic is the color. Tamiya TS-20 Metallic Green.

Here's where I am to date. Hopefully more this weekend.

001.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Joe

Very nice build. Checked out your old original post. Interesting point what you made about next time using wire instead of solder for your fuel lines. Thanks for posting. Anxious to see the final pics.

Jim

Got to give a shout out to SMBC for an amazing decal sheet. I've got 45 years of decaling experience and in all of that time, this has been the easiest application EVAH, and a pure joy to work with. I took the precaution of applying a coat of clear for my own peace of mind, but I'm not certain if it was needed.

Also, for those of you who thought to themselves, "Hmmmm, I wonder how he narrowed a rollcage on a finished chassis?" The answer is simple really. I just whipped out my trusty Dremel tool, slapped in a cutting wheel, then made a slice on the outside of the upper braces over the helmet. Once that was glued and wired together, I let it sit overnite, then cleaned up the joints and re-painted.

For those of you who did not ask yourselves that question, please enjoy the pics.

19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg

Thanx for the accolades. Just for that, here's more.

Three coats of Krylon Crystal Clear. Oooooooo, shiny.

Installed the parachute release. Ignore the shiny on the underbody. I had just used super glue on the release, then hit it with insta-set.

Also made a brace for the back frame to stabilize the body mount.

Next is to chrome the bumpers and install the chutes and spoilers. That oughta git 'er done.

30.jpg31.jpg32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg