Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/20th 1970 AMC AMX

Austin T

I've got the new one. It looks much the same as the annual, except that the stock wheels (new tooling) are on a separate tree. The custom wheels from the previous issue are still included, though the tires that fit them are not. The custom hood's clear insert is newly tooled, and the racing bucket seats are now molded in styrene (they were flexible plastic in the annual, and were not in the Eighties custom-only issue). The decal sheet has a few added things (license plates) but doesn't have stock striping (shouldn't be tough to do). The slicks and optional parts from the annual kit are all included. If you're into AMC stuff, you'll probably want one of these.

Did the Reissue fall far from tree, In your opinion?

Just got the kit. To answer some questions I saw. No, no back dating to the 69. Yes, it does have stock tires. There are three versions: a custom, stock, and race version. It has movable seats, a couple different shifters, and the 390 engine. The directions look like they're gonna be hard to follow. The kit also seems kinda cheap, and the detail isn't that great. There's a few decals, but surprisibgly no stock version decals; just custom and race.

Stay tuned for my build. I have to work all week because of a manager being out of town for trainig, but I hope to build it within the next two weeks. Over all right now just looking at he kit I'd give it a B-.

So, 1/20 scale, and still molded in headlights? Really? That's gonna be fun to make clear lenses for. Otherwise, I'm excited about this one. :)

Was thinking that same thing when I looked at the chrome tree, it's especially odd, since it was designed as a model kit from the ground up and not promo derived.

The '68 and '69 versions had separate clear headlamp lenses; in the new kit, they are still included. The extra set of wheels are the ones from the Lightning Bolt issue.

That's good. I can come up with headlight buckets, but the lenses would have been difficult. Now I'm really looking forward to this one. Anyone got a full parts breakdown?

I saw pictures? I thought here? But now I'm not seeing them! That's why the valve cover comments started? Am I going crazy? Somebody showed at least the chrome parts. What's happened to those pictures? Where are they?

That was a pic of the last reissue, the Lightning Rod version, not the current kit, and posted for clarification of which wheels were included.

If someone would be kind enough to please take and post some pics of the just-reissued kit, it would be much appreciated.

Received my kit over here in the UK today, first let me say I love the box art I think it looks superb, the kit itself looks to be in good shape there is some moderate flash on some parts, the body is very nice again a little bit of flash, a couple of mold seems on the C pillar, and a couple of sink marks on the front fenders that will need fixing, overall nothing major for a pretty old tooling.

The decal sheet is nice, shame it has no factory striping options though , photos are below, sorry for the poor light in them its 9pm and my camera isnt the best at low light shots.

mobfeb12103.jpg

mobfeb12104.jpg

mobfeb12105.jpg

mobfeb12106.jpg

mobfeb12107.jpg

mobfeb12108.jpg

Edited by Mr Stock

Thanks for the pictures Gary. The stripes that are given on the decal sheet, were they used on AMXs as maybe an option? I've seen them someplace before. Were they maybe a Javelin option? I do like the stock "C" stripes better. I too hope that Keith Marks might be able to help us out in that department. By the way, I love the blue AMX with the white stripe above. I wonder what color that is? And if Tamiya makes something fairly close.

Also, I should be getting mine tomorrow night at our local model car club meeting. I'm looking forward to it.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Scott this color looks to be "Electric or Bayshore Blue" offered for '70.

70amx8.jpg

Also, those stripes on the decal sheet don't look to be stock at all for any year AMX (I once owned a '69). Looks to be something more for a custom build.

Yeah, it would be nice if someone did those C stripes. A good alternative would be to do the "shadow" treatment that came on the '70's.

Edited by MrObsessive