Model Cars Magazine Forum

1923 Bugatti Type 32

curt raitz

In the 1st issue of "Motor Racing Replica News" was an article on building this model:

MRRC01vi-vi.jpg

Vittore Bugatti entered 4 Type 32's in the 1923 French Grand Prix @ Tours. These cars were fast, one was clocked at 117 mph, but the short wheel base and aerodynamic lift caused high speed handling problems. Two of the cars crashed early in the race, a third retired and the 4th driven by Ernest Friedrich finished a distant 3rd.

Along with the tank being one of the pioneers in aerodynamic design it also was the 1st race car with a "suspended" chassis, rear gear box with a differential, engine developed for competition with a overhead camshaft and the 1st Bugatti with hydraulic brakes in the front and mechanical on the rear.

The Bugatti Type 32's never raced again, Bugatti retained one (in Factory museum) and sold the remaining cars.

Most photos of the car are actually of a Bugatti Type 32 Replica pain-stakenly built to represent the actual racer.

I modeled my model after the #6 car Ernest Friedrich drove.

bugatti_t32_2-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_1d-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_1f-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_1g-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_1i-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_1k-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_1m-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_1n-vi.jpg

bugattidriver_e-vi.jpg

Thanx for lookin' B)

Nice! If you squint REALLY HARD - you can almost see a blue Veyron in there somewhere!

Outstanding tribute to early aerodynamic attempts. I gotta wonder what a small wing would have done to the handling characteristics? Or even a tall verticle fin.

Anyway - outstanding model. What did you use as a base? Or is it entirely fabricated?

Great replica. Bugatti had the aero concept correct. Look at fish, birds, bellytankers or a '53 Studebaker- They're teardrop shapes. That's how a raindrop falls from the sky. I never understood how a wedge could be efficient, as the air slams closed behind it.

Edited by Harold

Almost Painfully hard - almost.

And I have a VERY active imagination! Or is that Halucination?

No, no, no... wait. I think whatever you have is it's contagious, because I'm seeing an ever-so-slight 'Veyron-ness' in the grille opening and basic shape of the nose. And I'm not even squinting!

Great replica. Bugatti had the aero concept correct. Look at fish, birds, bellytankers or a '53 Studebaker- They're teardrop shapes. That's how a raindrop falls from the sky.

Not so! The sterotypical "raindrop" shape is nothing like the actual shape of a raindrop. If a raindrop falling through the air is an example of pure aerodynamics, the actual shape of a raindrop will surprise you.

http://weather.about.com/od/cloudsandpreci...rainburgers.htm

Very nice work Curt.I followed your build all the way,just didn't get around to posting..

The finished result is something to be proud of,you have made a wonderful replica of a great car from allmost nothing.

My hat is off to you Curt. :D:P

Thanx for all of the great comments...

yeah this was a stretch for me, but happy I did

It's a nice feelin' completing a build one has dreamed of doing for a long time.

I wasn't completely happy when I finished the tank.

I still see things I could have improved on the model, but as time goes by it's lookin' better and better ;)

Now it's back to the bench and get working on another long sought after model: 1967 Lotus 49 in 1/12th scale...

Ettore's evil twin? :D

This is were I got the Vittore Bugatti reference...but come think about, I don't know who he is either...his non-evil brother Ettore is the guy who all Bugatti's are named after

Andy will set the record straight I'm sure... :P

1923 Bugatti Type 32 Tank Replica Review and Buyer's Guide

0012_mp_etc_color.jpg

"Vittore Bugatti first entered the Grand Prix arena in 1922 following numerous successes over the previous two years with his 1½-liter 16-valve racing voiturettes. "

Not so! The sterotypical "raindrop" shape is nothing like the actual shape of a raindrop. If a raindrop falling through the air is an example of pure aerodynamics, the actual shape of a raindrop will surprise you.

http://weather.about.com/od/cloudsandpreci...rainburgers.htm

Sorry Harry... I only care about the weather when Bonnie Schneider is telling it! :D