Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '54 Hudsons

They've been brought up in other Moebius threads, but I figure these deserve their own thread. There will be a Hornet Club Coupe and a Special Club Sedan (lower trim level)

I'm reading my copy of Doug Boyce's Junior Stock, Drag Racing the Family Sedan over the weekend and notice a 54 Hudson raced by one "Matty Winspur" and the light bulb goes off with the connection to Moebius' Frank Winspur - turns out that's his dad's car! No wonder Moebius chose to do Hudsons! You can see the car on the board behind the test shot in this pic from NNL East. I really hope this kit will have decals and Cragars to do the Junior Stock.

10310617_10202808586708556_2856908561157

Matty27sGirls-vi.jpg

MattysHudson-vi.jpg

MattysHudson2-vi.jpg

I sent Frank an email telling him how cool I thought it was to be able to do a model of his dad's car, this was his response:

Thanks! We’ll actually put out a copy of the kit with decals and all replicating it as best we can. A couple of details have eluded us still! It’s been so long, my Dad’s memory is a little fuzzy on it, and certain things are hard to find images of.

Here's the 2 pics from Doug Boyce's book, they don't really add much we can't see from the other pics. Posted for discussion only, taken from Junior Stock: Drag Racing the Family Sedan - a really cool book, I highly recommend it, as well as Mr. Boyce's book Grumpy's Toys on the cars of Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins.

MattysHudson3-vi.jpg

MattysHudson4-vi.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

In the caption from Doug Boyce's book paired with the first photo (taken at Dover Drag Strip), in Brett's post above, the town "Richfield, Connecticut" is referenced. No such town in CT. That's Ridgefield. And, I don't recall that "Jack Clifford and Motorsports" was a business that ever existed in my town (I lived in Ridgefield from 1957 thru 1976, and then returned in 1992). My friends and I were rabid gearheads and we should have known about this enterprise. Ridgefield is a small town.

I did notice from what was lettered on the side of the Hudson that Matty was a member of the "Fairfield Timing Association." Fairfield, CT, and Monroe, CT, are within spitting distance of Ridgefield. And we're all in Fairfield County. So, maybe there was a cool speed shop in Ridgefield headed up by a legendary hot-rodder that we didn't know about. Too bad for us!

PB.

Jack Clifford was a Hudson racing legend, I believe he was based in CA. The caption is meant to read Jack Clifford and (a speed shop called) Motorsports... Clifford's company was known as Hudson Powered Products, then later Clifford Research and Clifford Performance. They specialize in straight-6 speed products.

Maybe the folks at the Dover Dragstrip site might know the correct name and location of the speed shop - http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/

This is a must have for sure. Especially it's nice to see Junior Stock kits, and because it's Moebius Models who is doing the kit, I think I don't have to worry about the accuracy too much. Especially the rear tires would fit on many different cars, too. I guess I'll be getting a couple of these Junior Stock versions.

Ahhhh.......My best buddy's Dad raced a Hudson also. He now owns 5 of the best Hudson's on the planet. His 37 Terraplane pick up was in the Peterson museum's recent 'Art of the pick up' as the center piece. I get to ride in some fantastic Hudsons and can learn from one of the true experts.

Riding in the back of a 50 Hudson convertible around So Cal.....hard to beat!!!

Take my word.....the Moebius drag Hudson will be a VERY nice kit.......more will be shown when appropriate!!!.

Take my word.....the Moebius drag Hudson will be a VERY nice kit.......more will be shown when appropriate!!!.

Cool, these guy realy know how to get my hobby dollar, I have one copy each, of every automotive kit t they released and they keep adding interesting subjects to their catalog....

Fun times!

Fascinating history, thanks for posting. (And I thought Chuck Most was the only guy who put mags on a Hudson.)

Nope. :D Interestingly, I had a photo of Matty Winspur's '54 tacked on the wall next to my workbench when I built what became the Led Hornet, but I had no idea that was Frank's father's car until now.

I was looking forward to the '54- not just for the obvious reasons, but because I wanted to do a model of the car that basically launched Jack Clifford's company. He won more than a few races and set a ten-year NHRA L/Stock record with his '54 coupe, and that was before he did anything other than tune the engine. Many of the early Clifford Performance parts were for the Hudson six. So of course I wanted to do a model of that car, but now, I'm pretty certain I'll have to mark a Matty Winspur Hornet next to it on the shelf.

I've got a test shot kit of the '54 Hudson Hornet Special Club Sedan sitting right by this desk as I write this. As soon as I clear another project off my work station, it's gonna get built and finished out.

When the production kit comes out, I'll for sure convert one to a 4dr sedan in full Hornet trim, white over red, as a model of the car in which I took my Indiana Driver's License driving test on August 13, 1960 (there's a couple of funny anecdotes about that which I'll share when I've got the car built.

The two 54's are another pair of home runs, folks!

Art

Nope. :D Interestingly, I had a photo of Matty Winspur's '54 tacked on the wall next to my workbench when I built what became the Led Hornet, but I had no idea that was Frank's father's car until now.

I was looking forward to the '54- not just for the obvious reasons, but because I wanted to do a model of the car that basically launched Jack Clifford's company. He won more than a few races and set a ten-year NHRA L/Stock record with his '54 coupe, and that was before he did anything other than tune the engine. Many of the early Clifford Performance parts were for the Hudson six. So of course I wanted to do a model of that car, but now, I'm pretty certain I'll have to mark a Matty Winspur Hornet next to it on the shelf.

Chuck,

This will be a must have kit. I will buy several to do a few junior stockers.

I will be releasing a set of decals to do Jack Clifford's L/S '54 Hudson Hornet, early next month. I should have them posted on my Fotki site by then.

http://public.fotki.com/doctordarryl/scaleautodetails

Here is a picture of the preliminary artwork for the Jack Clifford '54 Hudson Hornet L/S car. The car was black with a cream top. The body decals will be opaque white. The driver decal will be black. The decals will be available through mail order from Scale Auto Details or on eBay by early next month.

I may also have some resin parts for this kit depending on what Moebius includes for the drag version.

post-7848-0-65147900-1402151367.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have 54 Hudson second test shots - sent comments to factory early this week - still need revisions to bodies - hope to have 3rd test shot bodies pretty quickly... Need to get busy and whack a couple cars together from the 2nd test shots for box art and instruction sheet Photos.. Maybe I can get that going next week along with the Smooth side trailer test shot!

Hope to have these ready for production befor the end of August!

Edited by Dave Metzner

• 1 month later...