Model Cars Magazine Forum

door handles

Somebody used to make very nice GM door-handles in pewter, but they're long OOP. I think the man that made them died.

I agree, door handles would be a very salable item; they're not expensive to make and there are enough old damaged glue bombs, builder goofs, scratchbuilders and other uses for them that you could probably make a decent go at it.

Charlie Larkin

I had a tree of shiny chrome door handles, and they are/were my favorite metal parts that were ever made. I can't remember who made them.

I'm think SELtd. (Scale Equipment Ltd), but I could be wrong.

If I find them, I'll take some pics in the studio and post them.

They were/are gorgeous.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know of a caster who produces exterior and interior door handles for older vehicles such as the ones in the RM 59 Impala kit? Exterior handles are the most important I guess, but interior ones for detailing would be nice. If someone isn't making these, then maybe they should be because the molded on door handles just don't cut it.

I've come up with a way to VASTLY improve old-school molded-in door handles for virtually zero cost and not a whole lot more skill. My first such project is in the paint shop now. Hold on for a tutorial, coming soon to a model forum near you. B)

I've come up with a way to VASTLY improve old-school molded-in door handles for virtually zero cost and not a whole lot more skill. My first such project is in the paint shop now. Hold on for a tutorial, coming soon to a model forum near you. B)

Something like....this?: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71690&hl=%2Bdoor+%2Bhandles

I used this method in the past, but it became a PIA and was tough to finish/polish around the handle. I have since modified this process by either cutting the handle off, modify and saving it for final assembly (if the handle is tall enough) or for shallow handles I grind them from behind until the handle falls off, fill the hole, finish handle as in previous process.