Model Cars Magazine Forum

Utopian Future

Lunajammer

Hey Mike might I add a suggestion for your dash dilemma. On the T-bird concept I built I just cut a section of the dash out and added some clear acetate with the back painted black. kinda looks like an all digital dash. And it is easy to do. Whatever you decide to do I am sure it will be pure Utopian.

IMG_0218-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

On the T-bird concept I built I just cut a section of the dash out and added some clear acetate with the back painted black. kinda looks like an all digital dash.

That was the obvious choice, but I wanted to cut corners and not dwell on the interior too much. Truth is though, I'm not satisfied with how it looks and since most of it is in plain view I think I'm going to redo it. Every inch of that T-Bird is an inspiration so I'll have to raise the bar a tad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lindberg Mustang II concept or Revell Mustang Mach III are more great ideas for this thread Jesse, thanks for suggesting it. Hopefully you can show us the way when the time comes.

There are so many kits and creative opportunities to contribute to this thread. I only get an hour or two a week to build so it's frustrating for me. However it looks like I may have an update this week on my little glimpse of utopia.

Meanwhile here's some inspiration for those wish to jump in here... The last DeSoto S-Series concept for 1962. The company folded before production. Chrysler reps were skeptical this car would have been a success if it ever did proceed to production.

1962desotoSseriesfront_zps1df9b5a1.jpg

1962-desotoSseriesrear_zpse6c4e3f9.jpg

Well, I'm not officially putting my hat in the ring yet, but I did pick up a neat concept car that I've not seen before. Wont reveal what it is til I can get some of my other projects and CBP cars done first and then join this one. It is a Ford though.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the airbrush fired up and had a few evenings this week to eke out some production so my first effort went to the engine. I've been dying to see how this shapes up. Still have to determine if I want to embellish it more.

EnginePainted_zps69d7950a.jpg

The interior worked out okay but I'm pretty rusty on my detailing. Will need to touch it up a tad. I tested an oil based wash on the foot pad which turned out miserably. It won't be seen but now I know to abandon that technique.

InteriorPainted_zps84bf3c3d.jpg

Some color on the body, letting it sit before buffing. Roof still needs paint and the dash to be detailed.

BodyPainted_zps18caef92.jpg

Here's the drive arm with mesh added and painted. There'll be a little more detailing but not much.

DriveArmPainted_zpsb44f0400.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm only a month late responding :) . All modeling has stopped for me for a while until I can free up some evening commitments, but it's not been put away yet. I sure miss it. Since this is a CBP, it's not just my project. I certainly welcome others to express their creativity and show us where your vision takes you. I'll continue to moderate this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this thread recently, and I thought I might have something that would fit.

I was working on kit of the Ford GT, when I realized the engine was just miserable. It didn't have headers! I had the idea to replace the engine block with something to represent a sci-fi-worthy clean energy engine, and I sourced a torso assembly from a Gundam model that fits perfectly.

Problem is, I don't know when I can get back to it, as I already have a couple projects in progress.

Do you think this fits within the community build?

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, yes, that qualifies perfectly. In fact I have that one that I was considering myself. But go ahead and do yours. There are many, many (too many) other ideas I'm just as happy to pursue if and when I can. I'd love to see this particular kit in its finished form.

Danny, with the addition of the Gundam parts, yes the Ford GT qualifies. :)

Thanks Mike.

This kit is a curbside as it was originally meant to be motorised so I may trim the cover for the battery box so that it fits flush with the underside. The body is nicely molded so after sanding down the seams I gave it some primer and a few coats of Tamiya Candy Lime Green.

post-11090-0-51217600-1413763841_thumb.j

post-11090-0-10238200-1413763910_thumb.j

post-11090-0-61743000-1413763951_thumb.j

post-11090-0-94869800-1413763972_thumb.j

It's such an unusual subject that you may be better off that it's a curbside, since its dramatic look might overpower any engine or chassis detail you'd add. It's been suggested putting the Ferrari 308 chassis under it could give it detail and should fit, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Such a strange subject but that's what this thread is about and you're off to a rock solid start. Nice work Tim. Looking forward to more.

• 2 months later...