Model Cars Magazine Forum

My old diecast toy restorations

Junkman

I, too have gotten into diecast toy restorations.

Mainly old Corgis, Dinkys and Spot-Ons, what you can buy for Pennies at the boot sale.

I'll treat this thread more like a blog, because I feel to open a separate thread for each one would spam the forum too much.

Anyway, I gave all the models I restored so far (a whopping two) to my children to play with them.

They agreed that once they are done with them, I'll restore them again, and they will give them to their children to play with.

I'm telling you guys, these toys will survive me!

So here goes for starters.

Corgi Jag MK10:

pic035.jpg

pic036.jpg

pic037.jpg

pic038.jpg

pic044.jpg

pic045.jpg

pic046.jpg

pic047.jpg

Great looking cars. I like that you didn't over do it as the originals were not that great.

Years ago I made cardboard spray masks to repaint tootsietoys so the over spray looked just like the originals did.

I have probably a few hundred small diecast to do some day. A lot of Hubley, Tootsietoy, Dinky and anything else that looked fun.

Very nice work ! It is nice to see these cars getting a second chance .

Now you got me wanting to do the same only I have no little cars. But I am going to be looking for them now ;)

Thanks!

I can only recommend it. You can get wrecked ones for Pennies at a boot sale/flea market/garage sale.

I don't know about the American brands, but you can even get spare parts for most of the British ones.

Great looking cars. I like that you didn't over do it as the originals were not that great.

Years ago I made cardboard spray masks to repaint tootsietoys so the over spray looked just like the originals did.

I have probably a few hundred small diecast to do some day. A lot of Hubley, Tootsietoy, Dinky and anything else that looked fun.

Thank you.

You need to aim for the slightly sloppy finish, otherwise they lose their charm.

Making spray masks is the next thing I want to do, to achieve exactly the effect you describe.