Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

The Story:

Well the boys have been trying to make sure we keep the shop firing on all 8 while still trying to get our Cannonball Racer ready for the approximatley 2800 Mile Journey, Plus the additional 500 miles to go from our shop to New York. First thing that we realized was that the tires that were on the car when we got it, weren't going to cut it. So because of our budget, we decided to check the local Craigslist and Kijiji for what ever deals we could find. We got lucky and found quite a few parts with good prices, we also got a power plant a 454 mated to a TH400, a pretty good combo. An Extra fuel cell also found it's way into the truck.

The Model:

Started digging through parts boxes for goodies. Trying to get some stuff done on my Shop Dio as well.

GEDC4138.jpg

GEDC4139.jpg

GEDC4141.jpg

GEDC4142.jpg

GEDC4143.jpg

GEDC4145.jpg

Nick

That's great Nick. Looks like a storyboard, like you're directing a film. Nice to see figures posed right too.

I was very happy that removing the old decals from the Jungle Jim funny car was just a matter of pulling them off with tape. The plan for the Cormaro, as posted previously, was to section a quarter inch out of it.

Cut-Line.jpg

I took a little more than that much out but still felt it was a tad too long so I took another 1/16-inch out. Totalling just under a scale foot.

Cuts.jpg

CutAfter.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

Ken, before you get to far going with that dodge do a search on the forum

there is a small issue with the way the rear end sits (way to high)

if you follow the instructions it will look off

there is a little tutorial on here somewhere on how to fix that

i picked up this little gem tonight after work from an old highschool friend. its been in the garage for about four years not he had big hopes of restoring it. after 1300 bucks he changed his mind. now its at WTI customs. its a little rough around the edges but after we sand her down well see how much work we have ahead of us. we are going all out on this one beings it will be the first car the shop has built and we have to get our name out there.

IMG_20130102_174541.jpg

the car came with some crappy centerlines and old trans am wheels that are dryrotted and bald.

it also has the stock 305 with a 4 speed both will go outback to the parts stash and in its place is going somthing fuel efficiant and a little mare muscular

IMG_20130102_174550.jpg

IMG_20130102_174627.jpg

And we're off.

I, as usual, will do nothing but post inane comments, pointless suggestions and encouragement until approximately the middle of May at which point I will dive in, make a start, hit a snag and stall until November.

Well done all you who have made a start but remember, we've got 11 months so take your time and do it right 2nd or 3rd time.

And I haven't forgotten the unbuilt kit pics. It's just they are on the other computer.

Well i started getting some body work done, rescribing door and trunk lines, cleaning up flash, filling seams, etc i got a coat of primer on it but theres still alot to do. I will probably be using the wheels/tires shown but i will have to do some research and see when Hoosier started selling slicks to find out weather or not i can keep the decals i put on them awhile back or not. the front end sits a little high and should be lowered but im not shure how i could do it anyway here is how it is now

101_1567.jpg

101_1568.jpg

101_1569.jpg

Edited by Dragfreak

Well you saw the Cormaro funny car get shortened but the Corvette chassis still needs to be lengthened. So chop, chop.

Cormaro-chassis-slice.jpg

Glue, glue.

ChassisLengthened.jpg

I'm trusting I won't be following any rickety nail trucks so I'm dropping the spare tire in favor of extra fuel. Tank made from scratch to fill the spot.

TireTank.jpg

TireTankInPlace.jpg

Ken, before you get to far going with that dodge do a search on the forum

there is a small issue with the way the rear end sits (way to high)

if you follow the instructions it will look off

there is a little tutorial on here somewhere on how to fix that

Oh, I'm well read on the model, even if I haven't built one before. I know the model has its ride height based off an unloaded real-world example, giving it that sloped stance. All the same, as I won't be adding a trailer to it, one could argue that the ride stance is spot on.