Model Cars Magazine Forum

2011 Revell-Monogram fall releases

Especially on the T/A, when they have a proven kit on the shelf to reissue, added investment probably makes no sense.

Which is truly a shame, because the diecast T/A is by far the best example ever available as a kit. The '62 Corvette destroys the ancient AMT offering. Looks like any chance of building them will require picking up OOP diecast kits because it seems Revell lost interest in diecast to plastic conversions.

I'd actually be happy with having the T/A reissued in non-"Smokey and the Bandit" diecast form. That kit is nice enough that the fact it has a metal body bothers me not in the slightest.

I'm in complete agreement. They could do the '62 Corvette the same way. I doubt that will happen, though. The "D" word isn't an easy sell to anyone anymore, especially to fussy model car enthusiasts.

Is the 63 Corvette split window new? I only remember a snap tite roadster.

They released it as both a coupe and convertible, so it's a dtraight re-issue. Hopefully it will include the very nice Torq Thrust II wheels again.

I'm hoping the fact that the '56 DelRay is coming back means that it will have all the parts this time. The California Wheels edition which is still available pretty much everywhere, has just that, California Wheels. It does not have the required parts to build a stock DelRay (which I realize 88% of you don't care about). Finding one of the 2001 issue stock DelRays is getting increasing hard as I've tried several shows in the past 6 months without seeing a single one of them for sale, and they're ridiculous on eBay.

Other than that I can see getting the 2010 Shelby..incidentally, not everyone builds 1/12 scale kits, so it make sense to issue this in "normal" scale to me. I figure it's the 2nd of about 5 or 6 different iterations we'll see this tooling in anyway.

I see how a lot of people will be happy with the other issues, but those don't ring my bell. Oh well only 5 months to iHobby B):P

I was wondering about this very thing! I have one of the reissues with the resin hood. Wonder if an injected hood will be much better?

It will allow for more production runs. The last time this was re-issued the resin hood limited haow many they produced. The run they did sold out very fast.

BTW, no one's mentioned that '58 Impala 2-in-1. That's a very nice kit with a lot of great period custom parts (lake pipes, tube grill, etc.) and it will be good to have that one back.

Maybe that's because it's actually a '59. B) All kidding aside, the '59 was one of Monogram's best kits ever from what I recall, and one of their few 1/25 scale kits, near the end of their independent existence.

The newer tool Revell snap kits all have super nice bodies, the '63 Vette and '57 Bel Air especially...and those custom wheels are top notch. :P

Actually, I think it's the other way around _ they went with the resin hood previously because it was a limited run. (However, IIRC, there was a second run after the first one sold out much quicker than expected.)

Something else to remember is that the last time the OC was released, Revell had yet to move its production to China. Therefore, it cost them more to do new tooling than it does now.

You missed the point. Ijection molding is a high volume process that allows them to do a regular run rather than a limited one.

Actually Casey, the last time we seen this kit in the mid to late 90s, at least on the box it was just called a "Wrecker Truck", but for some reason I think the instructions MAY have had the Chevy name on them.

B5Wzfw2kKGrHqQOKkYEym1-ehNBMtPTChg_12.jpg

Sorry to burst your bubble Robert, but it is, as you can see from the pic I posted above from the last release of the kit, it was a SnapTite. :D Before you hold that against it though, it was an EXCELLENT snap kit, and even has an opening hood and fully independant engine, with the only pieces molded into the frame being the exhaust pipes and fuel tanks if I remember correctly. If you want, I have an old built up of it I got in a trade, I'd be more that happy to supply you with some pics of it if you want to see just how nice it actually builds into.

Of course, other than a case or two of the wreckers (who'd thunk I'D want wreckers :lol: ), I can't wait to see the 1/24 scale Huey again! A thread not too long ago about unusual loads for trucks came up, and that was the first time I even knew there was a kit of this made, and I guarantee you'll see one on the back of one of my trucks! :lol:

The upper engine is molded to the body, and the lower engine is molded to the frame... And there is a GMC badge molded to the grill.

I cut out the engine molds, and added a resin super charged BBC to it, and added a Chevy grill from a Revell step side...

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

I don't recall the Monogram-based '70 kit ever including a hood with a hole in it...unless you cut it out to clear the Cross Boss induction system. B) Is a hood without a hole not included in the current Special Edition '70 Boss 429/302/Mach 1 kit?

Well, the Mach 1 kit has a hole in the hood for the shaker scoop, and the Boss 429 2-in-1 (don't know about the special edition) has a hole in the hood. I have a Boss 302 I assembled almost 25 years ago. I wish they'd come out with a 69 Mustang...

The upper engine is molded to the body, and the lower engine is molded to the frame... And there is a GMC badge molded to the grill.

OOPS! :huh:

Thanks for the pics Marshall, you made me dig out the build up I traded for and found the previous owner had cut out the molded in engine areas, too. That goes to show you never can tell about getting a used truck!! :(:D:lol: The odd thing is though, mine doesn't have the GMC in the grille, just a plain grille. It still no big deal, they are still great kits and with a little scratchbuilding, they can even be easily made into a modern wheellift style wrecker.

Oh, by the way Marshall, I love the one you built, it looks like it was built to haul more than just cars!! :lol::lol:

OOPS! :huh:

Thanks for the pics Marshall, you made me dig out the build up I traded for and found the previous owner had cut out the molded in engine areas, too. That goes to show you never can tell about getting a used truck!! :(:D:lol: The odd thing is though, mine doesn't have the GMC in the grille, just a plain grille. It still no big deal, they are still great kits and with a little scratchbuilding, they can even be easily made into a modern wheellift style wrecker.

Oh, by the way Marshall, I love the one you built, it looks like it was built to haul more than just cars!! :lol::lol:

Matt they don't Mine dosen't either nor does my buddy Mike's.

Nick

As For the Wheel lift wrecker, Yes they can :huh:

Mine with a little added parts

FILE0244.jpg

FILE0246.jpg

FILE1416.jpg

FILE1208.jpg

FILE1210.jpg

FILE1130.jpg

FILE0285-1.jpg

FILE0387.jpg

FILE1757.jpg

a bit of this, a bit of that

FILE1114.jpg

Basically what I'm saying is with a bit of work it makes a great Shelf model, or if your me full detail Factory Stock Build of a '76 GMC Sierra Grand K35 with a Holmes 480 Mechanical and Holmes add on Wheel lift (trucks running a Stock 400, 4 spd Turbo 350 and NP 205 Transfer case with Dana 44 front, 60 rear) :P

I'll probably grab another Nomad and DelRay (I really like those kits and want to get a couple of resin bodies for the sedan.)

Two questions for those that might know.

1. Approximately what model year is that 1/25 Beetle supposed to represent?

2. What is the reasonable year range for that Holmes wrecker? I'm wondering about building a 1960s-vintage wrecker and might want to use that for the body.

Charlie Larkin

2. What is the reasonable year range for that Holmes wrecker? I'm wondering about building a 1960s-vintage wrecker and might want to use that for the body.

Charlie Larkin

I'm not sure on the Beetle, but I think the Revell convertible kit I have is somewhere in the late 60s range.

As for the wrecker, late 70s or early 80s based on the fact that the cab is a late 70s cab, a 76 if I remember one issue of the close stepside kit like Nick showed. I believe that was issued as a 76 at one time. I'm not sure if it would be good for the late 60s, but then again I know mainly the more modern trucks, since that was what I worked with! :( That still doesn't mean you couldn't use it on the 60s truck, someone could have always bought a secondhand bed and put the newer bed on an older truck.

The "D" word isn't an easy sell to anyone anymore, especially to fussy model car enthusiasts.

I wouldn't say they're a hard sell, I've bought a couple just to steal the wheels from :lol: . I don't know the economics behind it but the diecasts usually have the wheels updated over the course of a vehicle's run. I just bought a Greenlight "Jake" Vette for the sole purpose of having a set of the new Corvette Spyder wheels for my Revell Z06. I sent Greenlight an email suggesting that they could be missing a market by not releasing their wheels as a stand alone venture like Aoshima and Fujimi do but never got a response back. The Maisto and Jada diecasts can usually be had for less than a set of Aoshima rims shipped from overseas. Since designers can't seem to figure out scaling on wheels, 1/24th scale wheels off of a diecast are usually "just right" on a 1/25th scale kit.

Glad to see the GMC Wrecker back, though $25 is ALOT for a snapper... Hopefully (but not likely) the'll make into a full glue kit by retooling some stuff and/or add parts from the full detail '76 Chevy pick-up kits if they want to make the addmission price worth it.

BTW, one last thing on the wrecker, the tires on the first release were plastic, but on the 1994 issue (and this coming release) they tooled up New rubber tires and wheels close to the orginals to fit them.

Why is the former Revell VW Beetle in the Classic Crusers Line? Isn't it a hard and fussy kit fer young beginers to work with? (unless this one is a NEWER, more basic Revell AG tool we never heard about untill now)

Speeking of Revell AG, the Lambo Diablo VT in the Classic Crusers line was a full detail Revell AG kit with snap like assembly (migha been released in the Snaptite line and in a 3 pack).

I'll probably grab another Nomad and DelRay (I really like those kits and want to get a couple of resin bodies for the sedan.)

Two questions for those that might know.

Charlie Larkin

The beetle is a 68, but isn't the greatest kit in the world. The photos look like it still has the fender flairs from an earlier custom release. There is enough material in the fenders to remove the flairs for a stock build, I've done it.