Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 55 Chevy "BADMAN"

Flatout

Built from the latest release of Monogram’s “BADMAN”, even after reading about all that was wrong with this thing I still had to have it.

- Paint is Tamiya TS-16 Yellow

- Hooker and Isky decals are from the “stash” to replace decals left out of this release

- Tire lettering is from Slixx

- Left off the “Mud Flaps” and the Air Dam

…and the rest is from the box.

CONS: The body showed the age (50 yrs?) of the molds. Some panel lines were nonexistent as were some of the lines for the window trim. The upper quarter panels were very wavy and needed to be block sanded. The kit is not very detailed.

PROS: Once the “body work” was done the kit went together pretty well. The finished product is still pretty cool even after all these years…

Thanks for lookin’…

BADMAN1-vi.jpgBADMAN5-vi.jpgBADMAN4-vi.jpgBADMAN6-vi.jpgBADMAN7-vi.jpgBADMAN8-vi.jpgBADMAN2-vi.jpg

Edited by Flatout

Clean, almost sanitary build. Great paint, and foil job.

I just love those old kits. People can say whatever they want about the advantages of modern tooling kits, but like the old cars the old kits depict, you have to deal with the good and bad aspects that come along with the age of the subject.

Among my favorites are the AMT '57 Chevy (the old tool), the AMT '57 Ford, the AMT '65 and '66 Galaxies, and all versions of the AMT '40 Ford. The guys that designed those kits were contemporary to the guys that designed the real cars, those kits have a feeling that I call "back in the day" that no computer designed "wonder" will ever have. At least this is what I think.

I just love those old kits. People can say whatever they want about the advantages of modern tooling kits, but like the old cars the old kits depict, you have to deal with the good and bad aspects that come along with the age of the subject.

Among my favorites are the AMT '57 Chevy (the old tool), the AMT '57 Ford, the AMT '65 and '66 Galaxies, and all versions of the AMT '40 Ford. The guys that designed those kits were contemporary to the guys that designed the real cars, those kits have a feeling that I call "back in the day" that no computer designed "wonder" will ever have. At least this is what I think.

Tulio...I agree 100%

Clean, almost sanitary build. Great paint, and foil job.

Anyone can build one of the new kits and get good results. It's a true builder that can take the (Lack of a better description,) BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH kit and turn it into something amazing.

Pete,

Looking at what you have accomplished with this kit, I must say that it is the best rendition of this kit I have seen. The only thing i would change is the lettering on the slicks from yellow to a more period correct Blue Streak. I do get the yellow theme though.

I like it!