Model Cars Magazine Forum

Realistic radio antennas?

I use the smallest size guitar string for my antennaes.

This is the only photo I have where you can see the antennae very well.

011-8_zps2a280daa.jpg

A little tip on installing antennaes: after you make your base, glue it to the body, then drill your hole through the base and the body. Allow the antennae to go through roughly 3 mms, then super glue it. After the super glue dries, bend it over and add more. This will make your antennae super solid and you'll never have to worry about it coming off.

Edited by plowboy

I used an insect mounting pin on my daughter's van and am really pleased with how it looks. The rounded end is very small on these pins. I don't remember the size I got, but am pretty sure it's the smallest.

Van Final1 DSC 1025

They are flexible and just snap back in place if bent. I used CA as plowboy recommends..

Edited by Foxer

An insect mounting pin seems to be the easiest to use. Where might a fella locate some?

I ordered some from Indigo Instruments .

100 each - size # 000 for $ 5.85

or

10 each - sizes # 000 thru # 7 for $ 6.45

Size # 000 is 0.10 " diameter and is perfect for antennae .

Would some one who uses the guitar string please let us know what size and how much we might expect to pay for one?

Since we seem to have a lot of interest, we may as well get all the info out on the table.

You can get the High "E" string for any electric guitar. These range from .005 to.010 in diameter. A guitar string could cost as little as $.50 to $1.50 depending on where you get them. Also most strings are over 36 inches long, so 1 could yield many cars worth. I have also found these in corner drugstores for a full set only costing $4.50, and the larger sizes have a wrap around them, could be used for brake lines and simulated braided lines.

Would some one who uses the guitar string please let us know what size and how much we might expect to pay for one?

Since we seem to have a lot of interest, we may as well get all the info out on the table.

I'm not a guitar player so I can't say what sizes. But I bought a pack of different sizes and best I can remember they were less than $10 . but to be honest that was over 15 years ago

Go back to post #5 Rob and I use a # 12 guitar string for my antennas and also to "pin" parts such as side view mirrors. I believe I only paid about a dollar for the string, no more than $1.50 and there's plenty so only buy one.

For those using guitar string antennas .. what do you use for the ball end? or just leave it as is?

Mike for the ball end of the antenna, you can use a very tiny drop of epoxy, and then when it's thoroughly dry, paint it silver. I like my epoxy to "set up" a bit. Put it on too soon, and it can tend to "droop" over the end.

It doesn't show up well, but you can see the top of the antennas on the '49 Merc and Turbine car that I did. Also there's a pic of what I used for the base on the Mercury. Yes, I used guitar string, but I also used M.A.S.'s stainless steel tubing to represent the telescoping feature of most antennas.

P4063812-vi.jpg

P4063814-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by MrObsessive