Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update 7/7 A Kenny with Sentimental value

....Wow just like the old days when I was building kit,start another one before even finishing the first......This kit as said in title has very sentimental value to me,my mom got this kit for me Christmas '84 and for many reasons it never got started and ended up in storage until recent when Baby Girl n I was cleaning out the garage to get the Corvair running after a 15 year hibernation,the kit along with others was stored in the front deck of the "Vair".....This Kenny is gonna be named "Annie" after my mom who passed 5 years ago........ 043-3.jpg The kit....What an ill fitting kit and the plastic is very brittle,found out the hard way trying to persuade a few pieces to the right shape schaeffer_kw01.jpgschaeffer_coast2coast_refer_exp_kw.jpg The inspiration and look I am trying for. 041-1.jpg The work in process so far,I destroyed the sleeper that came with the kit but thankfully aitruckmodels.com to the rescue and the hood from Paul S. 046-3.jpg Removing them joint lines on the tank > :(047-2.jpg Some slight modifications to the cab,removal of air cleaner opening,exhaust mounting holes...and a broken vent window frame from clumsy fingers : :)048-1.jpg LOOK,Ford and GM together...okay bad humor...the colors chose for the truck,like working with Testors lacquers. 049-2.jpg Trying to come up with the right mixture to make the green in the older Kenworths....More to come on this sloooooow process,comments good,bad,ugly welcome or any tips or ideas welcome!!!...thanks for lookin'

Edited by Badluck 13

• 2 weeks later...

Small update,finished interior....just a base interior,nothing fancy,just a hard working truck......as always comments,suggestions,good,bad,ugly welcome...thanks for looking....

020-2.jpg

Nothing great,just a lil detail...

025-4.jpg

The only "Flash" in the cab.

015-4.jpg

011-4.jpg

What a kidney buster for any passenger :-/

036-2.jpg

039-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

054-2.jpg

056-2.jpg

....More to come one of these days..........

is this the same kit pretty much as the Movin' on kit?...i gotta keep an eye on "ANNIE" B)

Yeah it is about the same kit,just a different front clip which came with both clips,which I lost over the years so I had to find one thanks from the help of Paul S. and the kit also has no chrome at all which is fine,it gives me a chance to try Alclad II........

The Alaskan Hauler KW is the same as the Watkins and Movin'On editions with added parts and no chrome plating. The added parts are the hood top, sides, radiator, grille, bumper, radiator guard, mud flaps, fenders, headlamps, LP tank, headache rack and some other bits and pieces.

Some of the runs had the W9 hood with a section of the fender not molded completely.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Got a lil' more done with "Annie" today,got the body work done on the cab and hood,going with only one air cleaner so filled the hood cut out and removed the headlamp openings to allow for single lamps and also minor on the cab,the left muffler mounting holes and the air cleaner extension....

068-1.jpg

067-2.jpg

064-2.jpg

063-1.jpg

062-1.jpg

As always comments good,bad or ugly welcome and ideas and suggestions very welcome!!!.....Thanks for lookin',now if I just get the ambition to get the air lines plumbing done :unsure:

Mike,

Your making good progress on this very interesting truck. With regards to the single headlights. I used the lights from the Tamiya mini car for my WF heavy hauler. They were about the right size and looked right. Its a pity Tamiya don't make model trucks, the detail and finess of the parts is excellent!

Dave

• 2 months later...

Did manage to get some done on "Annie" being in all day due to the heat,comments good,bad or ugly and or advice always welcome..... 2175.jpg

Got the base color on,photos look blue but it is turquoise.

2176.jpg

Grille shot with Spazstix.

2190.jpg

My first attempt to plumb the chassis,so any help or advice is more than welcome here.

2189.jpg

2183.jpg

2178.jpg

2177.jpg

Thanks for lookin'

Mike,

Great Job, the KW is looking fantastic. I'm going by memory which can be a little fuzzy at times, but I'm thinking the pull straps on the KW doors were always black leather. If you already have the interior in the cab I would not worry about that little detail. Great job on the instrument panel, I'm guessing you dry brushed the rims of the gauges? Does the model come with the air brake blocks for the rear axles, or are you just making them from scrap pieces of plastic? The AB lines really make the model, keep up the great work.

Mike,

Great Job, the KW is looking fantastic. I'm going by memory which can be a little fuzzy at times, but I'm thinking the pull straps on the KW doors were always black leather. If you already have the interior in the cab I would not worry about that little detail. Great job on the instrument panel, I'm guessing you dry brushed the rims of the gauges? Does the model come with the air brake blocks for the rear axles, or are you just making them from scrap pieces of plastic? The AB lines really make the model, keep up the great work.

Rich,

Thanks for the compliments!!!,no the interior tub isn't in yet and thank you for the info on the straps,I will correct that,the guages are done with a silver and black Sharpie and the ab lines and blocks are my first try,the block are made from scrap sprue.

Hi Ray, it's good to see another fellow Pennsylvanian on the forum. Not trying to steal your thread Mike and like Ray said not only is the model looking great, but the back story is heart warming as well.