Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats The Advantage Of Resin

I see a lot of posts about resin parts, and notice that some of you are getting amasing results with them, not to mention any names (Tim), so I guess my question is ..what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Can you use the same paint and glue as with the plastic?

Are there any sites on how to make resin parts/molds?

T.I.A.

Tim

We can fill an encyclopedia with this topic, but in a nutshell, resin provides the means to duplicate parts (usually modified or one-offs) not available in plastic. Resin parts can be sanded, painted, drilled etc. However, you can not use glue for styrene on it. Glue melts the plastic to make the bond. Resin in inmune to this glue. You must use either superglue or 5 minute epoxy. Once a resin part is cleaned you can use your favorite primer on it, and from that point it can be painted like any other regular part. The process of making the parts is very manual. While not overly complicated, it is time consuming and the materials are not very cheap. Molds don't last long and they need to be replaced frequently. I would suggest to start using commercially available resin parts so you can get a feeling for them, before venturing into casting your own. That's pretty much it in a nutshell, but as I said, there is enough on this topic to keep going forever.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Subject matter!!!!

If you need or want something different, like the correct day cab panel for that 377 AE Pete!!

Check out Visit My Website I have quite a few items listed and more on the way.

One note. The shipping function has been acting up, so if you are interested in any thing drop me an e-mail and I will take care of it until the problem is repaired.