Model Cars Magazine Forum

70s Willys Gasser

noname

Thanks guys. I decided just to leave the engine alone. I'll make it up on another build. It looks better with the naked eye. Don't they always though?

Got the interior done. Not much there to do other than put it back together and make a shift stick.

Picture021.jpg

As you can see I have the engine and Moon tank in place. I took the blower scoop off because I am thinking about velocity stacks instead. I got this urge to put a Two Lane Black Top type of scoop on it. The opening would be in the back so it wouldn't make sense to have a scoop facing forward. Not sure yet, have to make one and see how it looks.

Picture022.jpg

And here is the chassis. I decided not to do anymore detailing in that department. I did weather it though. See what happens when a car sits around and is passed from hand to hand for a decade. They rust. Good thing we think rust is beautiful, right guys? Isn't that right? :D

Picture026.jpg

Edited by noname

Thanks guys, I'm glad you dig how I'm going about this.

Terror, you are right. We enjoy going to a good old fashion junk yard just to look at the old half rotten antiques. Some shades of rust are just beautiful. I've done a good few rusty models.

I went looking for some left over rattle can paint and found this orange Duplicolour. Not my first choice but it will do the job. Picture some guys doing the same thing in 1:1 scale. I also scratched this scoop.

Picture033.jpg

I've already started putting decals on the model so the next time I post it should be finished.

This one is finished. It's kinda cool but I'm not totally happy with it. I would like to have had some more 70's looking graphics but my decals are limited. I'm not set up to do fancy airbrushing either. And if I were to do it over I wouldn't go with ornage. But, I think it's decent.

Picture070.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Thanks for the visit.

Thanks Dave. I wouldn't say the decals were randomly placed. I put some thought in to each one placed in relation to the other. I guess it just isn't aesthetically pleasing to you.

If you look at vintage pics.(and I know you do) you'll see there is no right or wrong way to place the decals. Some particular compositions will no doubt look better than others. I usually don't use so many decals as they weren't so plentyfull on individual cars back in the 50's and 60's. Seems 70's cars had alot more of them. Think of the Pro Street cars of the 70's compared to say FX or Stock class cars of the 60's. I think I was trying to make up for my lack of ability to do the graphics I would have preferred. If I had Dr. cranky's set up I would have went to town. ;)

The build didn't come out quite the way I had planned. But oh well, I think it's decent. If only I had a paint booth and a dedicated room. :unsure:

Maybe you are right Dave. I don't know. I wanted this to be different. I find these Willys all look alike after a while. I was thinking of the fact cars in the 70's started using more decals because if they won they would get more money. Maybe Gasser is the wrong class? Maybe it should be Super Gas or something. I don't know so much about later drag classes. I've only been focused on the 50's and 60's up to this build. I picked decals I thought might be more fitting for a mid to late seventies car.

I would not likely use this many contingency stickers again unless I was doing a Pro Street or something like that. Like I say, I would have liked to have some groovy graphics and a car name or name of so and so's bodyshop etc.

It might look better with less decals but then again it would look like every other Willys. Who Knows, maybe sometime I'll strip and paint it a different colour all together.

Edited by noname

Thanks Tyrone.

Dave, after looking at the Willys for a while tonight, I decided it would be better to remove some decals. There were a few that kinda didn't belong. Like the Monroe sticker. Just didn't fit. Anyway, I removed 6-7 decals on each side and I have to say, it does look better. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Thanks guys, I agree the last picture does look the best. The Willys was a neat car but like others they look better from certain angles.

The glass by the way, comes in the Big John kit but I'm sure you could paint any clear glass with transparent acrylic paint.

Next time I build a Willys it's gonna be old school. Porper. Or,...should I say older school.

Thanks My80Malibu. I never cared for the front wheels either. When I do an older build I usually go with those old school skinny Firestones or something. But these front wheels are actually true for the cars the kits represent. That is the Stone, "Woods and Cook" and the "Mazmanian" Gassers.

I also like to make my coupes sit a little lower in the back with little space between the wheel opening and the tire. And I've seen plenty of cars like this in photos. They must have stiff suspension otherwise you'd think the body would dig into the tire upon take off.