Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Charger F.E.D. update

Bill.......VERY IMPRESSIVE !!!!!!!!!

John, that means so much comin from one of our model heroes! I know most people don't believe these are my first attempts at scratch building, I have never worked with any brass or aluminum before this,I am havin loads of fun with figuring out how to do these things and then seeing it on the car, thanks so much for looking!

Bill........the gift you have for first time scratch building is mind blowing.......your talent is incredible.....and to top it off..........you couldn`t have picked a better subject.......this was one of the most beautiful dragsters in drag racing history.........I would love to see this build displayed at the Pomona,Ca. NHRA museum........the museum has some quality builds but,but this is truly a "MASTERPIECE"...........great job.

Bill... I couldn't agree more with John.... I didn't realize that this was your first time scratch building and machining all of these parts. I have been wanting a mini lathe and end mill but after seeing what you have done. It makes me want to get them now. I have been debating on what to go with and how much I want to spend. Its either the Shurline or the ones from Micro Marks. One day i would like to own one of them. anyway back to your build. I am seriously blown away and would love to see this build in person. Keep up the great work.

Sometimes a "super-detailed" build can be faulted for looking too "busy", where the parts don't scale properly and the whole effect makes one wonder why the builder bothered. BUT ... this is NOT the case here!!! Virtually every part that you have made helps to take this model to another realm of realism in both scale and texture. As John Teresi pointed out, this is an extraordinary gift you have, and you've applied it to an almost ideal subject to show us what can be achieved. Thanx for sharing.

wow, you guys are too kind, really appreciate the kind words, that means more to me than any trophy! and thank you for following along!

Chris you GOTTA get a lathe, it is so kewl to be able to shape metal, mine is just a cheap chinese lathe but it seems to work, I know the sherline is a nice lathe as long as you stick with small stuff, it is kind of limited on how big you can go woth your work, something to consider, your 1/1 car may need some cool stuff too! looking at mills now hope to have one soon!

Bill... It has been on my mind for the past year to get a lathe. I was only planning on going with the smaller ones to be able to do parts for these 1/16th scale builds of mine. I know I couldn't afford a full size lathe but a small lathe and end mill would be perfect :lol: