Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deora - Reissue versus Original kit?

Ken McGuire

any difference from the early Slant 6 in this kit to the later made ones? I have this kit when it had ERTL-MPC on the box (I'd have to look at the box date to see what year it might be close too.....)

I'm making mine a LOW rider tho.... so I'm customizing a custom HMMMMMM

-Thanks guys! I was unsure so. I got one and was wondering.....I also picked up what seems to be a resin valve cover thats from a Slant 6, but finned, AND is one made by "Offenhauser" with it written in the model part, and was wondering what kit it may have came from, as its really well done!

-Thanks guys! I was unsure so. I got one and was wondering.....I also picked up what seems to be a resin valve cover thats from a Slant 6, but finned, AND is one made by "Offenhauser" with it written in the model part, and was wondering what kit it may have came from, as its really well done!

That valve cover is probably from the XR-6.

The Deora kit was created alongside the 1:1 build, and "got ahead of" the 1:1, so a few details are different. (That happened with the XR-6 also.) Deora differences include: side windows (kit has them, 1:1 does not), grille/headlamp details, and the front wheel opening "lip" (kit lower body crease goes straight back from the wheel opening, 1:1 drops down just a bit behind the wleel opening). The lower front door operation differs too, probably because it would have been pretty tough to make the kit door work like the 1:1.

If I am not mistaken. The Alexander brothers built the car as a concept show car.I had not heard about the design contest. But those were quite popular back in the early to mid 60's.

I have the one with the camper shell . I am thinking of converting it to a 4X4!

Be Well

Gator

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the version I'd like to see :D

s-l1000.jpg

Other than the unique box art, you can put this version together with the Deora kit and the Chrysler Hemi engine from the reissued AMT Parts Packs (that's how this kit version was configured by AMT)....Obviously the builder was requested to do some kitbashing per the assembly instructions to get that big ol' first gen Hemi into and engine compartment designed for the much smaller "tower of power" Stant Six....Cheers....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just paid for and picked up the reissue Deora kit at the Model Cave in Ypsilanti, Michigan.  (thanks John and Melissa!)  

I'm very impressed after a quick look-thru.  I'll try to shoot and writeup and in-depth review in the next couple of days.  

Until then, I can only say that I am totally blown away by the new tires.  They appear to be the Goodyear F60-15 tires, but with gold "Firestrone" lettering and a very narrow white oultline along the outside edge of the sidewall.  I did not unpack them yet, but from what I could see through the clear plastic envelope, they look KILLER!!!!  

Best regards...TIM 

I want to pick one of these up too Tim! I have one of the '80's reissues from MPC, and unfortunately, the roof has a bit of warp to it. Hopefully, at this weekend's club meeting the fellow that usually has all the latest kits (I want another '61 Pontiac too), will have the Deora. 

And yes, IMO those tires should make that a killer build!

I have that issue.....and the top/roof is on the body with instructions about how to chop it off!!!!

So as Tim said......you can make your own now that the bed cover has been restored!!!! 

Yep, that's my plan! Funny that I was building models when the Deora was first released. I've got a few bits from it, but have never had the kit.